Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brought home an 84 today

brought home an 84 today

Hey guys

I joined here a few years back when looking at a different 84 for sale and was searching for info, ended up passing on that one and bought a really nice 88 Turbo Coupe instead. However the last 10 years or so I seem to have automotive ADD, and haven't become too attached to any of my hobby cars in that timeframe, so I'll drive them for a few years then sell to try something different. The TC went to a new home last spring, and then I also sold the modded 07 Mustang GT that was my track day toy later in the year. In the meantime I picked up a nice 95 Jaguar XJR as a cruiser, but still had a hankering for neat Fox car. Back in the day I had bought new an 87 LX 5.0L hatchback that became a Solo I competition car then a wheel-to-wheel racer in the local Showroom Stock class (my home track is Mosport). I'll also mention that I've been a Ford dealer parts guy since the late 1980s except for a few years where I was working at a local performance shop chain.

So on a Canadian Mustang forum around Xmas time last year a new person to the forum advertised an 84 for sale. He'd owned it since 1986, it had just under 70,000 km which is about 45,000 miles, and said it was a Comp Prep car. I went for a look and it was a decent survivor car with a few dings and scratches and evidence of a repaint on the right side door before his ownership. Turned out to be an option delete car since it had an AM/FM radio, but nothing else. It had never been driven in the snow, basically just a summer toy for him. He was getting older and not driving it so much, and his son was not interested in taking over ownership of it. For that time of year in southern Ontario it was a decent day for weather when I looked at it so I did have the opportunity to take it for a short drive, and I was very impressed with how tight and solid the car felt, not a worn out turd like many Foxes are these days. The seller realized that it wasn't a good time to trying to move along a hobby car in our climate, and I took a gamble and said that I'd check back with him in the spring to see if it was still available.

Spring came around finally so I emailed him to inquire about coming for a better look at it if still for sale. He responded that it was, however while having it at a shop to get a section of the exhaust repaired it was noticed that the turbo had a small oil leak. The seller is a fairly competent "backyard mechanic" so he decided to tackle the repair in his garage at home. To shorten the story, between being very thorough to source out the rebuild parts, and a vacation to Europe with his wife interrupting things, he only just got it put back together last weekend. So today I went down for a good look with my best friend of 35 years who has also been a Fox owner many times over. We took a dealer plate and a wad of cash in case a deal could be made. On the test drive again the car impressed, the Konis make the car so much nicer than the crap shocks that came in the 5.0 cars back in the day. Red Konis were one of the 1st mods I made to to my old 87, and I still remember how much they transformed the ride and handling.

To sum up, I ended up driving home in a nice silver 84 that just rolled over 70,000 km while we were out on the test drive. I'll post some pics when I get some and figure out where to upload them since Photobucket went full retard a few weeks back. In the meantime you guys have all seen enough original paint silver 84s that you can imagine what it looks like! Selling price was $5750 CAN, which I think is fair considering the overall condition of the car and the relatively low mileage. Tomorrow there is a fairly large annual Mustang club show on the west side of the greater Toronto area that I'll "debut" it at for my local Mustang friends. Plans are to lower it a bit (I have some late SN95 front control arms and Mach I springs hanging around), get some of the very simple non-through floor subframe connectors installed, and maybe a set of BBS RS mesh style wheels put on. Not looking to do anything that changes the character of the car or can't be easily undone. Another friend who's been playing with 2.3Ts for a long time has the later injectors and VAM kicking around, I'd just have to come up with a later EEC module to match. Thanks to the people here who've posted good threads and answered others' questions that came up when I did a search on various topics while digging for more info on these special cars. Being a Ford parts guy back to that era I pretty familiar with everything that was different and unique on these, but it's also nice to see what issues and fixes people have come up with over the years as these cars age long past their intended time on the road as Ford produced them.

cheers

Ed Nicholson

Caledon Ontario Canada

Congrats!

BTW - you can upload/post the pics here directly.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

CONGRATS and thanks for sharing!
    Let's see some pics (no need for photobucket). We like work-in-progress project too!
    You should have no problem finding the later PE computer.
    If you're going that route (35# injectors, etc) I would recommend also changing out your intake to the square type to get proper knock sensor function.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Thanks guys. Car is home now after getting the provincial safety check done at the dealership where I look after the parts department. Had a leaky caliper, some pad separation, and a few flex hoses starting to crack so we put fresh pads / rotors / calipers / hoses on all 4 corners plus the centre rear hose. Took the opportunity to do the police version calipers with steel pistons and MM steel caliper sleeves with HPS pads up front. Put some decent OEM style pads in the rear for now, and have a set of the Porterfield rears on order that MM offers.

Local supplier also had an old set of Kenny Brown "Super Sub" frame connectors hanging around that he offered for a great deal, so I had our body shop get those welded on. Also found a cool old set of ARE 398 3 piece wheels on eBay, 16x8" +40 offset black mesh style (very similar appearance to BBS RS), with a low mile set of Bridgestone RE71R in the stock size. Those are on the car now and look great ... the ride height and fender gap is bugging me though, need to get some springs in the car soon.

cheers
    Ed

Noob
    Wow Ed, what a great find for you. Look forward to seeing pictures!

Building Boost
    Congrats Ed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here are a few pics finally, first one as it sat in the seller's driveway, second one at home after getting the brake work completed and bolting on the new to me wheels & tires.

01 drivers side.jpgIMG_1726.jpg

Building Boost
    That looks great Ed! Congrats! I really love the Silver SVO's. Have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    So here are a few pics finally, first one as it sat in the seller's driveway, second one at home after getting the brake work completed and bolting on the new to me wheels & tires.

01 drivers side.jpgIMG_1726.jpg

Nice car! And those are some "grippy" Bridgestones...!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Thanks guys, enjoying it so far. Have done a bit of wrenching, the car had a low power issue after a hot restart sometimes, really felt like it was pulling ignition timing so we put a fresh Motorcraft TFI on it and seems good since. Also did Motorcraft plugs / wires / dist. cap and fuel filter, along with a fresh timing belt and tensioner. Had one of the techs at the dealership do fresh fluid in the trans and rear axle too. Figured that it was a good idea to refresh a bunch of this stuff if I was going to be leaning on it a bit at some track days.

Kendal, I got your p.m. but can't reply until I have 10 posts on here. If you go through my rambling first post you'll see a mention of the car being an early production option delete version, it's not a comp prep car as the seller thought it was. I made him aware of the difference on that, and he had also thought the car had an 8.8" ring gear as well.

cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Thanks guys, enjoying it so far. Have done a bit of wrenching, the car had a low power issue after a hot restart sometimes, really felt like it was pulling ignition timing so we put a fresh Motorcraft TFI on it and seems good since. Also did Motorcraft plugs / wires / dist. cap and fuel filter, along with a fresh timing belt and tensioner. Had one of the techs at the dealership do fresh fluid in the trans and rear axle too. Figured that it was a good idea to refresh a bunch of this stuff if I was going to be leaning on it a bit at some track days.

Kendal, I got your p.m. but can't reply until I have 10 posts on here. If you go through my rambling first post you'll see a mention of the car being an early production option delete version, it's not a comp prep car as the seller thought it was. I made him aware of the difference on that, and he had also thought the car had an 8.8" ring gear as well.

cheers
    Ed
    Looks like a nice car. I am sure you will enjoy it. This is a great site for information.

Forgot to mention, a few weeks back also had the dogbone clutch cable snap on me in stop and go traffic through a construction zone on the highway with no shoulders. Luckily it was slightly downhill, so I was able to get enough momentum going to get the car into 2nd then up through the gears as traffic cleared ahead. Was meeting some friends that night at a local Mustang club meet, made it there OK and called a friend who has lots of 2.3 stuff. He had a good used cable that he was able to pass by with, as well as a floor jack and the needed tools. Once he was there we had it done in about 10 minutes. Funny thing was that earlier the same week I had ordered a couple of NOS Ford cables from an obsolete parts supplier to have when needed, but they didn't arrive until the following Monday. One is in the console compartment now! LOL

Hoping to get at the suspension this weekend, the ride height is killing me.

cheers
    Ed

Any progress on this? I'm curious why your changing arms to drop the ride height as a simple spring set will do that?

IMG_2200.jpg

Didn't do much with the car over the winter. Picked up a nice set of staggered 17" Stern Face II 3-pc wheels from a seller in Hong Kong, those are on the car now with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 225/45R17 and 245/40R17. They are probably the best value right now for a summer performance tire, really strong grip dry and wet with a very reasonable price tag.

I had the SN95 control arms already, put fresh OEM ball joints and Global West Delrin bushings in them so they are ready to install. Figure that I'll save the OEM SVO arms for the meantime, and I have some Apex front springs from a local Mustang friend that he had cut to get a low ride height on his V8 Fox ... I'm thinking with the SN95 arms and less weight on the nose they should be just about right for me.

Also, as you can see in this photo, the right side door has had something done to it, previous owner says not during his ownership since 1986. A local body shop that I've dealt with for 20+ years will see what he can do with it, he is a whiz at blending older paint. Will likely get him to redo the wings too, and I have a repro Mach I front chin spoiler to slice and trim.

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO option delete
    95 Jaguar XJR

Looking good are you having any rubbing of the rear tires turning corners hard?
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Those stern's sure match the car very, very well! Definitely keep the fron arm's, I think Rob aka "roberto" can do the ball joint on those and he's in canada far as I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    Looking good are you having any rubbing of the rear tires turning corners hard?
    Not at the current ride height, but it may when lowered. The rears are 17x9" at +38, pretty much the same as the Saleen SA10 cars used. That's the other thing I'll ask the body shop guy to do, is roll the rear fender lips. Long term plans if I keep the car would be to do SN95 brakes all around, in which case I'd use the 94-98 axles which would tuck the rear wheels in 1/2" per side, and I could adjust with thin spacers as desired.

Ed those wheels look GREAT on the car!!

Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    Those stern's sure match the car very, very well! Definitely keep the fron arm's, I think Rob aka "roberto" can do the ball joint on those and he's in canada far as I know....
    Yup, I've met Rob through one of the local Mustang clubs, he's about 1/2 hr away from me. Knew he was an SVO guy, but didn't realize how hardcore till we met in person and chatted.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertosvo View Post
    Ed those wheels look GREAT on the car!!

thanks Rob!
    84 SVO option delete
    95 Jaguar XJR