Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: brought home an 84 today

Quote Originally Posted by Robertosvo View Post
    Ed those wheels look GREAT on the car!!
    I’m agreeing with Rob, they do look good!

Figured that I would post an update on my 84, actually haven't done much with the car this year so far other than to enjoy driving it ... I've added about 3,500 km since buying it the middle of last summer. As previously posted, got the 17" Stern wheels on in the spring, receiving lots of positive comments about those. Also replaced the cracked inner R/S front lamp with a repro that the Mustang Shop in Calgary happened to have on the shelf, and swapped in a set of Bosch H4 conversion lights that were gifted by a friend. They previously lived in the 84 VW GTI he owned when I first met him back in the late 1980s as I got started in Solo and Solo II with my 87 5.0L LX.

Yesterday my buddy Stu and I tackled the droopy headliner by taking it down, brushing off the foam in between, and regluing. Didn't turn out perfect, we ended up with a few wrinkles, but much better than having it hanging down on the one side. It had gotten worse from when I'd bought the car after lots of windows-down drives with the warm weather we've been experiencing here in southern Ontario.

On the Monday of the Canada Day weekend (Sunday was our July 1 holiday, so July 2 was a statutory work holiday for most people including myself), I was at the local track for an annual event called "Mustangs at Mosport" put on by one of the area clubs. It's been running for about 15 years, and when I can get the day off I try to attend to help coach some of the rookies. It's not a proper HPDE, just a lapping day where they have coaches ride with the newbies for at least the first session to try to keep them safe. On a big fast track like Mosport it's maybe not the best approach, but better than throwing them out there with no help at all. I always encourage the local people who are thinking about doing this event to try to get to an HPDE at a less daunting track first to get a feel for it.

Anyway, the coaches get to drive in the advanced group at this one, so I did a few gentle laps in the SVO on my street tires. The Firestones that I put on the Stern wheels are great performers, they are based on a Bridgestone carcass and do very well for the price. Because I had already been at the track all weekend for Chumpcar racing (2 hours in a fire suit is tough when it's 90+ degrees and humid), I wasn't too concerned about trying to get a lot of laps in the SVO. So I didn't bother bring along the dedicated track rubber, just enjoyed the car as it was. Of course the turbo engine didn't like the excessive heat, especially on the long uphill back straight which is like a huge dyno pull, but the car felt good, can definitely notice the nimbleness of the front end compared to the 5.0L Fox that I used to race there. A friend got one decent shot of the car coming around corner 5 which leads on to the back straight. Any of you northern U.S. folks east of the Mississippi that do track days, this place should really be on your bucket list to check out. As Tommy Kendall said recently while covering the IMSA race, "if you don't get proper scared at least 4 times a lap around Mosport then you're not going fast enough". LOL I can certainly attest to that from my younger days when sprint racing there in the 5.0!

cheers
    Ed
    IMG_2674_CC_1300 resize.jpg
    84 SVO option delete
    95 Jaguar XJR

Looking good! Way to represent the SVO!