Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Fuel Tank Filler Pipe Grommet

Fuel Tank Filler Pipe Grommet

On my 86 SVO a few yrs back I replaced my fuel pump. While I was at it I replaced the fuel filler pipe rubber gasket / grommet. I bought it from Blue Oval Ind and within a few months it failed and started to leak. The rubber separated at and the rubber def failed / disintegrated. I spoke to blue oval and they replaced the item, no questions asked.

Here it is about a year and a half later and it has failed again. This is crazy. Dropping the tank is a PITA and I should not have to be doing this. Does any one have a different supplier that makes one of these or a NOS bc I think these are possibly not good quality. I dont know for sure but this is frustrating. They are made in USA and an exact reproduction and made on original tooling from what I understand but at the end of the day this is the 2nd failure. I prob should have never replaced the original in hind sight.

Am I doing something wrong? It is pretty straight forward to replace, maybe a bit tight to get it in place.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L
    1986 1D owned since 1992 and on the road!

Last I checked, that grommet was still available from Ford: Ford F4ZZ-9072-DA
    I've installed about 5 or 6 of them and haven't had a failure. I put a bit of lube (just a bit of alcohol) on the gasket to help to feed the filler pipe through it. There is also a "retainer" that encircles the filler tube and uses a sheet metal screw to secure it to the tank. I can take a picture if this doesn't sound familiar.
    Dave

Thanks! I am familiar with the retainer bracket and it is in place.

Any one have any advice on the installation procedure? This will be the 3rd time I am doing it and as straight forward as it seems I may be doing it wrong.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L

I use a fair amount of wheel bearing grease to prevent any tearing. Even then, it takes a decent force to get it to fit.

I've used alcohol to prevent the tearing. I learned that trick from an old Porsche mechanic. The alcohol will dry up and not leave a residue.
    I put the grommet in the tank first, and then check and double and triple check to make sure it is installed correctly. Then install the filler neck into the grommet. I've found removing the gas door cover and loosening the gas filler "box" makes it a bit easier to get the filler pipe installed.

Thanks! I got the new one from local Ford dealer. It def is more pliable than the aftermarket one. Once I empty the tank I will drop it and replace the grommet. Can it be done without removing the tank? I dont think so but figure I would ask.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L

It sounds like you're on the right track with the Ford piece. IIRC, I tried to replace the grommet once without dropping the tank...I ended up dropping the tank down about 6-8 inches...but I still consider that dropping the tank.
    I hope the Ford part solves your problem for more than a couple of years.
    Dave