Thread: First HPDE Track day, sort of a bust

First HPDE Track day, sort of a bust

Track day event at Dakota County Law Enforcement driver training facility. Fun layout, lots of elevation changes, and FAST!
    Lots of nice cars, Porsches, BMWs, Mustang GT350s, Corvettes, and...one 30 year old SVO.
    First session, about 5 laps in, an older C4 Corvette blows a radiator hose going into turn 1. Dumps a BIG mess of antifreeze.
    Long cleanup / reroute delay and and we're back running again. Having a blast for about five laps and then a older Nissan catches on fire!
    Another long delay for fire truck, wrecker, etc.
    Back running again, about 15 laps in - bad brake fade (see other post on brake upgrade recommendations).

Forecast was 65% chance of rain w/heavy downpours, left race tires at home, mounted my M&S street tires. Guess what? No rain!
    Still was able to keep up to about the 1/2 of the pack (even pass a few) but looking forward to trying out race rubber to see what we can do.
    Some of the cars in the advance group were crazy fast. Definitely got the bug and will be back!!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Get some higher temp (real track type) pads for the front. Install a good high-temp fluid (ATE Type 200 or better), and make sure the front calipers have steel pistons in them.

For long sessions (>20 minutes) install front brake coolers.

Not much we can do about the chevy breakage or Nissan fires though.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Get some higher temp (real track type) pads for the front. Install a good high-temp fluid (ATE Type 200 or better), and make sure the front calipers have steel pistons in them..
    Thanks Mike!

Steel pistons - check
    Fluid - was running Motorcraft Dot 3 (538 deg). Dot 4 on order.
    Pads - scoping out some Hawk Blues

For long sessions (>20 minutes) install front brake coolers..
    I recall seeing some photos of your ducting on the Red Baron, searched back on your previous posts, can't seem to find them.
    How did you route / mount or direct airflow? What kind of tubing / attachments did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I recall seeing some photos of your ducting on the Red Baron, searched back on your previous posts, can't seem to find them.
    How did you route / mount or direct airflow? What kind of tubing / attachments did you use?
    Didn't find what I was thinking of in a quick search - may not have posted the brake cooling stuff though. Have lots of pics and may still have the parts list.

I mounted some rectangular funnels (aka "scoops" behind the fog lamp openings, replaced the dust shields on the hubs (I'm using sn95 front hubs) that have 3" hose mounts in them and ran 3" hoses from the front scoops to the hub plates. Tied them out of the way using tie-wraps to the front sway bar in the critical places.

Will post pics/info later when I get back to my picture repository.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Dust shield / backing plate replacements with air tube attached (NOTE: My setup uses sn95 brakes. You will need to fabricate or modify a setup for FOX front brakes to work on the SVO). LOTS of places sell these backing plates with hose connections - I used ones with 3" hose inlets. Airflow is pointed to the center o the rotor. These things bolt to the spindle in place of the factor dust shields.

Img_3764.jpg
    Img_3782.jpg

Scoop / funnels came from pegasusautoracing.com
    3624-BLACK Air Inlet: Small Bumper MT (1 Outlet)

Mount inside the front bumper cover behind the fog lamp openings. Rivited to the fog lamp bracket. 3" hose outlet. You ill need two.

Img_3789.jpgImg_3797.jpgImg_3800.jpgImg_3804.jpgImg_3806.jpg

Now connect the air hose, also 3", to the backing plate inlet and leave the front end just hanging. Need to figure out routing, clearances, attachment/mounting points (I used the front sway bar and masking tape to start) and check steering movement with wheel installed lock-to-lock.

LAstly determine how much additionally length is needed to attach to the front scoop.

Without wheel/tyre.
    Img_3943.jpg

With wheel installed. straight.
    Img_3947.jpg

Steering full out (stretched).
    Img_3948.jpg

Steering full in. Verify no wheel/tyre rubbing.
    Img_3949.jpg

Full in, different angle.
    Img_3950.jpg

Dust shield / backing plate replacements with air tube attached (NOTE: My setup uses sn95 brakes. You will need to fabricate or modify a setup for FOX front brakes to work on the SVO). LOTS of places sell these backing plates with hose connections - I used ones with 3" hose inlets. Airflow is pointed to the center o the rotor. These things bolt to the spindle in place of the factor dust shields.
    Nicely done Mike!! Thanks for posting!