Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Formula 1 Racing Thread

Force India: Formula 1 team to come out of administration

Force India are currently sixth in the constructors' standingsF1 team Force India have agreed a deal to come out of administration, saving all 405 jobs at their Silverstone base.
    The team's management, backed by a consortium of investors led by Lawrence Stroll, have secured the future of the team.
    Force India was placed in administration in July.
    The team's driver Sergio Perez said he started administration proceedings in order to fend off a winding-up petition from another creditor.

Canadian billionaire Stroll is the father of Williams F1 driver Lance.
    Force India chief operations officer Otmar Szafnauer, along with his senior management team, worked with the administrator to find investors able to secure the long-term future of the business.
    "This outcome secures the future of the Force India team in Formula 1 and will allow our team of racers to compete to our full potential," said Szafnauer.
    "I am delighted that we have the support of a consortium of investors who believe in us as a team and who see the considerable business potential that Force India has within F1 now and in the future."
    Three of Formula 1's biggest names - McLaren, Williams and Renault - have been concerned about a potential sale to Stroll.
    The teams are worried that Force India, which uses Mercedes engines, could effectively became a Mercedes 'B' team.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Christmas in August for Lance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

I've been wondering for decades why more billionaires haven't purchased or started F1 teams. Seems like a rich boy thing for sure.

After all Larry Ellison spends $2Billion a year on one boat just to have someone else race it.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yep.

We need Bezos to fund one.

I've had this thought that Fernando and Kimi should retire from driving and become TV commentators replacing the current F1 announcers/pundits on Sky. Then there's this out today:

Spanish two-time world champion Fernando Alonso has announced he is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season.

The McLaren driver will end a career that began with a debut for Minardi at the Australian Grand Prix of 2001.

Alonso, 37, who is competing in his 17th F1 season, won the 2005 and 2006 championships when racing for Renault.

"After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport it's time for me to make a change and move on," he said. "I made this decision some months ago and it was a firm one. There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever," he added.

"Let's see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I'm having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures."

Alonso has in recent years branched out into other series and in June he won the Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race at his first attempt.
    He joined Toyota's World Endurance Championship (WEC) programme this season with the aim of winning Le Mans, and has dovetailed it with F1.
    That victory provided him with the second part of motorsport's 'triple crown'. Twice a Monaco Grand Prix winner, he is only missing Indianapolis 500 success.

He competed in the Indy 500 for the only time to date in May 2017, retiring towards the end of the race with engine failure, having run strongly throughout and led for a total of 27 laps.

Only Englishman Graham Hill has won all three classic races in the history of motorsport.
    Alonso ended Michael Schumacher's five-year dominance of the drivers' championship when he won the first of his titles in 2005.
    At the time, he became the youngster ever driver to win the title.

He has also finished championship runner-up three times, and to date has achieved 32 wins, 22 pole positions and 97 podium finishes.
    In his statement confirming he would retire at the end of this season, he suggested there may be a chance of him one day returning.
    "I want to thank everyone at McLaren," he said. "My heart is with the team forever.

"I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy."

'Thank you, for being my life'

Alonso tweeted a video 'letter' to F1 in which he said:
    You were not expecting me and I wasn't sure I wanted to get to know you.
    When I barely knew how to walk, I ran towards your noise, your circuits, without knowing anything about you,

Alonso was 24 when he won his first championship

We had very good times, some unforgettable, others really bad. We have played together, against incredible rivals. You played with me, and I learned how to play with you too.

I have seen you changing, sometimes for good, sometimes in my opinion for bad. Every time i close the visor of my helmet I feel your warm embrace, your energy, there is nothing like it.

But today I have some other bigger challenges than those you can offer me. And this year, while I am still driving at my best, is how I want to remember you.

I can only be grateful to you and to the people that are part of you, for having introduced to me so many cultures, traditions, languages, wonderful people, for having been my life.

I know you love me, be certain that I love you too.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45188028

Couldn't find a competitive car.

More mis-steps in his team choices than anyone with his skills.

Sorta sad

About now I'm betting McLaren wishes they'd stuck with Honda power??

Well, their switch exposed the fallacy of the "front running chassis handicapped by Honda power"

They serve crow in the lunch room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    They serve crow in the lunch room.
    While Ranault, Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes serve schadenfreude??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

You can even go back for seconds.

Spa - AHP

( Another Hamilton Pole )

And McLaren to a new low.

And a big upset from [the new] Force India!!

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Spa - AHP

( Another Hamilton Pole )
    Maybe not ???
    Who saw the wreck in practice when there was a DRS failure in the low downforce position under heavybraking?
    "Just leave me alone. I know what to do" (Kimi)

Well no Hamilton on pole. It’s KIMI! With his slow starts will the force Indias, Hamilton and Vettel beat him to the first corner?

Crash city potential.

So Lewis held the track record for maybe ten seconds, then Seb held it for a few seconds and now Kimi has it.

Very exciming race to watch at Monza with a most unexpected result.

Monza was a good race. Ferrari mismanaged the race and lost. I think it was only a speed bump though and their true pace will have them winning again next race.

Building Boost
    COTA, 2018. Had to have been one of the best races of the season. Congrats to Kimi, I was a little surprised, and amazed that he held on to finish P1. Glad to see those red cars back up front. Even Lewis, who usually would have been crying about a 3rd place finish was excited that there was some action at this race.