Thread: Header repair and ceramic coating

Header repair and ceramic coating

I removed the turbo from the '84 CP today and it became obvious why I have some odd exhaust noise on startup...a cracked header. I'm looking for recommendations for a shop that can repair my header and ceramic coat it once repaired. Location isn't important as I figure I'm going to have to send it out for repair anyway.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Half Boost
    Got any pictures?

Here are a few pictures.
    IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Half Boost
    That's in a bad spot for sure. Any idea what kind of header that is?

Some Boost
    Looks like an ATR?

Not sure, but I THINK it is a custom design-build header. If really interested, I can find out.
    So, I now have an estimate to repair the header. Just to make sure it is the right decision, any recommendations for a header that keeps the turbo in the (approximate) stock location?

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Not sure, but I THINK it is a custom design-build header. If really interested, I can find out.
    So, I now have an estimate to repair the header. Just to make sure it is the right decision, any recommendations for a header that keeps the turbo in the (approximate) stock location?
    Stinger might sell one. I had a Bob's log years ago that was pretty solid. No idea if those are still available, though.

Some Boost
    After looking at pictures of the ATR header, I don't think that is one. It does plumb the ports together in the same way, though.

Half Boost
    Stinger is not selling headers anymore. His was a center mount anyways. The only headers I know of are the EB Chinese Rods knock offs. There were some people doing headers on Turbo Ford.

Dave the header pictured can be welded, but I would suggest adding a piece of steel that bolts to the engine mount bolt and is welded on the backside of the turbo flange...This will help reduce the hanging weight on the header ( from the turbo and exhaust ) that caused the original crack.

If you were to do a different "stock" location header I think the Log style is the strongest one out there..... followed by an original "Rods" header

Rob,
    Odd you should say that. Take a look at the picture below to see the support bracket (as it was removed) that was on the '84. It justifies what you wrote above.
    Yes, the broken piece is upside down, but it was removed in the correct orientation...just broken.

IMG_0381.jpg

If you want to use the stock-style turbo brace, get one from an 87/88 TC. Those versions are a thicker material nad made from a 400 series stainless, versus the thinner, mild-steel of the early engines. The thicker stainless ones are stronger and don't get heat embrittled like the mild-steel ones do.

NOTE: You will need 2-4mm LONGER lower studs.

I probably have pics of thew two for reference.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    If you want to use the stock-style turbo brace, get one from an 87/88 TC. Those versions are a thicker material nad made from a 400 series stainless, versus the thinner, mild-steel of the early engines. The thicker stainless ones are stronger and don't get heat embrittled like the mild-steel ones do.

NOTE: You will need 2-4mm LONGER lower studs.

I probably have pics of thew two for reference.

After looking around, I found another bracket that is thicker. The old (broken) one is .14" thick, the one I found (which I think must be from the 87/88 TC) is .185" thick (the difference works out to be about 1.14mm). Mike, I'm guessing that is what you reference in your post above?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    After looking around, I found another bracket that is thicker. The old (broken) one is .14" thick, the one I found (which I think must be from the 87/88 TC) is .185" thick (the difference works out to be about 1.14mm). Mike, I'm guessing that is what you reference in your post above?
    Yup.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Thought I'd post a video the repair shop did showing the "before" and "after": https://youtu.be/BqjSvpevx1Y