Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotor and pad recommendations....

Some Boost

Rotor and pad recommendations....

Stock 86. Front end is beginning to shake under hard braking. I think I'll order some upgraded parts (pads and rotors) for the front end. What are you guys using and where are you getting them?

Thanks!

I used powerslot sloted front rotors with hawk hps pads, the rear was napa rotors and porterfield rs4 pads. I had one of the power slot rotors develop hairline cracks in the first 500 miles but I may have been two agressive during the bedding/seasoning process. The place I bought them from sent me a replacement and all has been good since. If I was to do it over again I'd use the porterfield rs4's all the way around not just the back.

Half Boost
    I put Bendix brand rotors, calipers, and pads all around when I got my car years ago. The rotors have held up well to some occasional very spirited driving with no warping or noticable fade from the pads which are also holding up good.
    I don't know where to tell you to buy them though as bought mine thru my workplace and we are a Bendix dealer.

Building Boost
    I replaced my front rotors three years ago with standard Raybestos and pads with Hawk HPS. Can't complain, has hold up nicely one-two track days and few autocross days per summer and 8 k miles, no problems. Pads still usable at least this summer too.

Rear has OEM Ford discs and seemingly pads too by previous owner, no noticable wearing during four year ownership.
    Lauri

1984 Mustang SVO 1C
    1988 Tbird TC 1C

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    I used powerslot sloted front rotors with hawk hps pads, the rear was napa rotors and porterfield rs4 pads. I had one of the power slot rotors develop hairline cracks in the first 500 miles but I may have been two agressive during the bedding/seasoning process. The place I bought them from sent me a replacement and all has been good since. If I was to do it over again I'd use the porterfield rs4's all the way around not just the back.
    Do you have a part number for the porterfield pads?

Never mind. Those are too pricey for what we use the car for. I got a good deal on some Hawk HPS pads and stoptech slotted rotors.

Just remember that hawk only makes the front pads....

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    Just remember that hawk only makes the front pads....
    Yep. I'm just changing the fronts for now.

Some Boost
    Another thing that can cause pulsing under hard braking is old brake fluid. Moister is the fluid will boil and turn to steam. If you can remember when the last time you have flushed all four brakes, then the time is now. Use Motorcraft, it has one of the highest boiling points for Dot 3 fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    . Use Motorcraft, it has one of the highest boiling points for Dot 3 fluids.
    Or use DOT 4 fluid - 100% compatible with our old SVOs. I prefer ATE Type 200.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Or use DOT 4 fluid - 100% compatible with our old SVOs. I prefer ATE Type 200.
    Thanks. I topped of the reservoir with DOT 4 a couple of weeks ago.

Some Boost
    Man, I forgot how heavy these rotors are. The slotted rotors are pretty sharp looking, too bad you can't see them with stock wheels Planning on changing rotors/pads later this week weather permitting.

Some Boost
    Just finished up this project. As I was finishing up the first (L) rotor I thought, "this seems to rub the dust shield more than it should". Anyway, buttoned it up and moved on to the passenger side. As I'm putting both bearings in, I realized I had not put the back bearing in on the other side. I'm glad I didn't drive it that way

The pads were GONE. I'm glad I didn't put this off any longer.

IIRC - there's an inch of clearance between the dust shield and the rotor.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    IIRC - there's an inch of clearance between the dust shield and the rotor.
    Not on this car. Maybe 1/2 inch.

So I just took it for a ride to get the brakes set-up. It will stop, but not panic stop. The pedal pressure feels ok, but I really expected to be able to stop on a dime. Reservoir levels look fine but it doesn't stop like I want it to. Ideas?

You need to bed and heat-cycle the new pad materials.

Some Boost
    Well, I thought that's what I was doing After thinking about it, I think I may have left some axle grease on the rotors. I'm going to soap and wash them tomorrow.

Some Boost
    You need to bed and heat-cycle the new pad materials.
    So, we cleaned all the grease off of the rotors and took the car out for several spirited stops from 60 to zero. It is stopping better, but it still won't lock up the brakes like I would expect it to not having ABS. Most of the grab is at the bottom of the pedal, too. Should this improve with use? You can definitely tell the old rotors were warped as it stops with no shaking now.

Some Boost
    Pretty sure I have air in the lines. It's still spongey. What would be the normal/fair price to have a shop bleed the lines?

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    Pretty sure I have air in the lines. It's still spongey. What would be the normal/fair price to have a shop bleed the lines?
    I wouldn't think more than 1/2 hr labor and some brake fluid. Maybe 1hr at the worst assuming there is nothing else wrong. Don't you have some car buddies to help you out?

About $100.00
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.