Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotor and pad recommendations....

Building Boost
    I've got stock spec Napa rotors, and Stillen pads.
    Get some brake cleaner and spray those rotors.
    If you had grease on them, it might have gotten into the pads, and they could be ruined.
    rotors and pads must be kept clean when installing.
    I drove mine to a parking lot, and proceeded the standard bedding procedure.
    30mph to stop a few times...
    40mph to stop a few times.
    50mph to stop a few times
    60mph to stop a few times
    Hurry up and leave before mall cop comes to see what the hell you're doing...

I posted this a little over 6 years ago. Still good info.https://www.svocop.com/forum/showthr...8-Brake-bed-in

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by indysvodave View Post
    I've got stock spec Napa rotors, and Stillen pads.
    Get some brake cleaner and spray those rotors.
    If you had grease on them, it might have gotten into the pads, and they could be ruined.
    rotors and pads must be kept clean when installing.
    I drove mine to a parking lot, and proceeded the standard bedding procedure.
    30mph to stop a few times...
    40mph to stop a few times.
    50mph to stop a few times
    60mph to stop a few times
    Hurry up and leave before mall cop comes to see what the hell you're doing...
    Pretty sure it's air. I have it scheduled to go to the shop on Tuesday. Gnari intercooler kit just showed up, btw. Will open soon

Some Boost
    Flushed/bled and stops like it should now. 3 inch downpipe and FMIC up next.

Some Boost
    I took the car for a spin and the brakes were pretty soft. I popped open the MC and noticed that the back reservoir was full, but the front was very low. How much fluid should be in the front reservoir?

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    I took the car for a spin and the brakes were pretty soft. I popped open the MC and noticed that the back reservoir was full, but the front was very low. How much fluid should be in the front reservoir?
    With fresh (thick, new) pads the MC should be filled to ~1/4" from full in both front and rear reservoirs.

As the pads wear and get thinner, the pistons come out of the calipers to make up for the thickness reduction. The fluid from the MC gets displaced to move the pistons out - thus lowering the fluid in the MC reservoir. So if the above description is correct (MC full with fresh pads/rotors - aka caliper piston all the way in) then the MC fluid level can be used to indicate pad wear.

Naturally as soon as someone tops off a MC reservoir, the game in unknown.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Sounds like to you have a leak on the rear brake lines/calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Sounds like to you have a leak on the rear brake lines/calipers.
    Or pad/rotor wear.

BTW - The large reservoir is the front caliper set, small is rear.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Well, I refilled the MC and drove it to the shop to have the new cam installed yesterday. The brakes will bite, but the pedal travel is a bit long before they do. I can't imagine the Hawk pads have worn that much in the past three months. Guess I'll have to look at them when I get the car back.

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    Well, I refilled the MC and drove it to the shop to have the new cam installed yesterday. The brakes will bite, but the pedal travel is a bit long before they do. I can't imagine the Hawk pads have worn that much in the past three months. Guess I'll have to look at them when I get the car back.
    Adjust (tighten-up) the rear calipers.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Adjust (tighten-up) the rear calipers.
    It must have gotten air in the system again somehow. The fluid level is the same as a week ago after refilling the MC. I'll limp it in to the body shop tomorrow and then back into the shop for a bleed after that.

Some Boost
    Leaking rear caliper. The shop will only replace them in pairs, so I get to spend $380 dollars next week That will bring the two week total to $2200. I swear, this car spends more time in the shop than at my house.