Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaks?

Leaks?

After a hard rain the front carpet on both sides of my 2R is damp. The weather stripping on both doors is bad, it will be replaced when I swap the rusty doors for the good ones I have. I don't think it's coming from the doors but I guess it's possible.
    I know it's not the heater core and I plan on taking it through a car wash to see if I can find the source.
    Is there any typical spot(s) that they tend to leak from?
    Paul
    86 SVOs = 2A - Drag & 2R - Driver & 1C - Rusty
    84 GT Turbos = 'verts & hatch

Has it ever been in a front end accident of any sort?
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Not that I know of and I don't see any evidence of repair work. I did body work at my buddy's hot rod shop years ago and know what and where to look.
    I think to start I'll get in the car and have my wife use our pressure washer to see if I can find where it's coming in.
    It's not a major leak and the carpet on both sides gets damp after a good rain.
    It is my daily driver so I need to get this corrected, lots of things to fix this spring. I may even paint it after I get the doors and hatch swapped...

Windscreen ever been changed? That's a most likely leak area.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I’m with Mike on this one. I’ve seen several leaky ones.

I bet it has, doesn't have the 'Carlite' logo at the bottom center like my GT Turbo.
    What's the best way to seal it? R&R the windshield or try to seal the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Puppy View Post
    What's the best way to seal it? R&R the windshield or try to seal the edges?
    Best is to remove the glass, clean all the existing stuff and apply new sealant, re-install. It's also the riskiest method. Back-up plan is to replace the glass that was just damaged trying to get it out and apply new sealant.

You could try #2 above (adding more sealant around the edges) but I'd not expect great results. Be careful taking off the trim strips.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Well, I do have glass coverage on my insurance policy. I guess I could call them and tell them it's cracked...

If I do try it myself and f it up, I have another windshield in the 1C 'donor'. Of course with my luck I'd f that one up too.
    I miss the old days when they had a rubber seal to hold them in. I changed many of those at the body shop I worked at.

I had good luck spotting a rather bad leak in a Honda windshield many moons ago by using an air compressor. Just took the trim off around the glass & blew compressed air around the edges of the glass with a little soapy water on the outside edges of the windshield. Bubbles blowing up indicated the source of the poor seal. When the glass was pulled it was clear there was a gap between the sealant & the windshield. Yes the windshield was cracked during the process of attempted removal.

On the 88, I had a nasty leak that would soak the passenger foot well in a heavy down poor. After some exploration under the dash, which included removing some of the firewall insulation, I noticed what looked like an open body seal. I removed the fender liner & shined a light from under the dash. I could make out light passing through at the corner of the firewall & at the fender apron. The car was in a front end collision at one point & piss poorly repaired, as most are. They tacked on a new apron but didn't take the time to straighten out all the sheetmetal it attached to. They also took no time to use seam sealer on any of the gaps they removed it from. Someone did attempt to seal a hole with a gob of silicone & duct tape. As you would expect, that didn't quite seal up the hole.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I have seen the cowl leak, small hole from rust or seam sealer cracking could also be the problem. It would be a lot better if it was the windshield.

Update! I took the car through a high pressure car wash and it turns out the water was coming past the weather stripping on the driver's door.
    I adjusted both doors a bit tighter and the leak is gone! Thankfully that eliminates having to pull the windshield and re-seal it.
    The car does have the original (afaik) Ford windshield in it, the 'label' id in the lower left corner and has Ford on it.

^
    Now if you could just protect them from trees ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    ^
    Now if you could just protect them from trees ...
    The only one the trees attack is my 1C donor (the rusty pos).

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Puppy View Post
    The only one the trees attack is my 1C donor (the rusty pos).
    So, uhh, you reached an arrangement with the tree union?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    So, uhh, you reached an arrangement with the tree union?
    Yeah, I told them the 1C was theirs and they agreed to not break any of the 'good' parts and leave the other cars alone...lol

Update #2...
    The flippin' car is leaking again! We had a lot of rain this week and the floors on both sides are wet. I read through all the previous replies and I'm open for any other suggestions on diagnosing this. I
    did the paper thing on the doors and they still seem tight from the previous adjustments.
    My plan is to start by removing the wipers and cowl trim and dumping copious amounts of water into the cowl to see if I can spot anything.
    Also, who makes the best repo weather stripping?

I've had foxbodies leak from the cowl. Lay down on the floor like you are going to unbolt the brake quadrant. Look up at the bottom of the cowl in the general area where the cowl meets the side upright metal where the door hinges mount, that seam is where they start to rot.
    Good luck...I hope it is not the problem

I’ve been chasing a leak also. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s the cowl area unfortunately. Spent a good part of the day cleaning and inspecting it. If there is no rain tomorrow it will get por15 and some flex seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    I’ve been chasing a leak also. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s the cowl area unfortunately. Spent a good part of the day cleaning and inspecting it. If there is no rain tomorrow it will get por15 and some flex seal.
    I been using a box fan to move air through the car and keeping it covered to stop the rain, once it's dry I'm going to start leak checking.
    I have some POR 15, I like the idea of the FlexSeal.