Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intercooler upgrade question

Some Boost

Intercooler upgrade question

I have the Bell core that I am planning on swapping in the stock housing. I notice that the stock core has a lip on both sides that the interior seals snap onto. The Bell core does not. That would obviously be problematic regarding boost leak. Any ideas on what I could use instead of/in conjunction with the stock seals?

Some Boost
    Looks like I'm going to have to DIY some sort of seal for this. The Bell core measures the same size as the stock core without the lip. No way can the stock seals be used. Might need to buy some Flex-Seal (haha).

Some picture might help us help you.

Some Boost
    I have made seals out of silicon sheets obtained from McMaster-Carr. They also have L-shape silicone that you will need to seal the sides. I used ultra gray silicone to glue them in place. I still have an issue with sealing to the top of the intercooler body because the casting is not flat in that area. I thought the gasket could seal the difference, but it wasn't thick enough to do the job. So it needs to come back apart and I need to flatten out the sealing surface of the casting.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I have made seals out of silicon sheets obtained from McMaster-Carr. They also have L-shape silicone that you will need to seal the sides. I used ultra gray silicone to glue them in place. I still have an issue with sealing to the top of the intercooler body because the casting is not flat in that area. I thought the gasket could seal the difference, but it wasn't thick enough to do the job. So it needs to come back apart and I need to flatten out the sealing surface of the casting.
    Awesome! Do you happen to remember/know the part number you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I used ultra gray silicone to glue them in place.
    Be sure to use an "oxygen sensor safe" glue. Or let it cure for at least 24 hours before making it part of the engine's intake system. High humidity speeds curing.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    Awesome! Do you happen to remember/know the part number you used?
    9010K13 and 3482K4

I traced out a gasket template with poster board, then transferred it to make the gasket. I used the ultra gray to fill in the groove in the casting to give the gasket a better bite. Good luck.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Be sure to use an "oxygen sensor safe" glue. Or let it cure for at least 24 hours before making it part of the engine's intake system. High humidity speeds curing.
    No worries there, it takes ultra gray 24 hrs to cure, then you start the leak and pressure testing.

Some Boost
    Thanks, Mike!

Some Boost
    Just ordered everything. Spent about $70 with shipping.

Some Boost
    So..... that didn't work at all. Leaks like crazy. Won't make any boost. I think I'm probably going to be looking to go front mount. The only kit I can find is Stinger's, but it says I have to move the a/c condenser for it to fit. Does anyone know of any other kits that are bolt-on without having to move/lose your a/c?

Just a thought would it be possible to weld the bell core into the stock location? Or for that matter just have end tanks made for the new core.

The only other kit on the market that I know of for fmic is from Gnari... https://gnari.com/products/front-mou...or-mustang-svo

I don't remember the exact details because it was so long ago, but moving the AC condenser with Stinger's kit is not a big deal. I needed to use an aftermarket power steering cooler, trim the front of the wheel well lining near the fog lights, and relocate the charcoal canister, but I did not have any AC-specific problems or complaints with the FMIC install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    Just a thought would it be possible to weld the bell core into the stock location? Or for that matter just have end tanks made for the new core.

The only other kit on the market that I know of for fmic is from Gnari... https://gnari.com/products/front-mou...or-mustang-svo
    That kit looks nice. If it is really a direct fit, no mods kit, I think I may go that direction. Has anyone here used it?

I really don't think I want to fool with the Bell/stock location anymore. I'll probably post it up for sale here before long.

That is nice I'd like to see a picture of it installed.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a thread on TurboFord about the Gnari installation, and the guy had some problems. Would love to see a second opinion, but Stinger is probably a safer bet overall.

owned since 2003, restomod

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    There is a thread on TurboFord about the Gnari installation, and the guy had some problems. Would love to see a second opinion, but Stinger is probably a safer bet overall.
    Would you happen to have a link to that thread? I was banned over there years ago, so I don't think I can search for it.

Some Boost
    Actually, I was able to search and find the thread. I wonder if the kit has been updated since then to address having to reclock the compressor housing?

After reading the thread (found here for those trying to follow along http://forum.turboford.org/ubb/ultim...=059375#000011) it sounds like you should put a note in the order form if you have a normal turbo and they will send the extra bend. But I'm of the opinion that if your not going to put the intercooler in front of the condenser your better off building a kit like the old sperco kits.download (1).jpegIntercooler3_shrunk.jpgIntercooler1_shrunk.jpgdownload.jpeg

As for moving the a/c condenser its actually really simple and you can see how I did that to my car on page 2 of my fmic build thread... http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project

So saddly there really isn't a one size fits all solution to the svo fmic situation. You need to have some fabrication skills and tools.

Some Boost
    I need to do some planning I already have a PIMP running. I'd like something that doesn't require me to do a ton of extra work. Dave installed a new radiator in this car before I bought it, and I think it's thicker than stock. I can fab some things up, but I don't weld. Decisions, decisions....