Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler upgrade question

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    How wide is the stock radiator? No way mine is going back in.
    The stock core is 19 x 29. Add a couple inches each side for the tanks.

CORRECTION: Stock rediator is 19" tall, 29 inches wide INCLUDING tanks.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    The stock core is 19 x 29. Add a couple inches each side for the tanks.
    The one I have is 29 inches wide, tank to tank. There is no way it is going back in. I have about 25 inches of room. Any suggestions on what might fit? Also, I think I'm going to have to trim a couple of inches off of the charge pipe that connects from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body. I didn't yet, and decided to call it quits for the day. I was about to drop it on the saw but am concerned about it no longer having a lip. Sealing issues if I do?

I'll have to find somewhere else to mount the charcoal canister. I don't give a rip what Gnari says, it will not fit in the stock location. This is not a very well designed kit, especially if you have a/c and want to keep it. I'm going to have to purchase a different radiator and fan to get it to work.

When I lost the charcoal canister location after installing the Stinger FMIC, I found two holes right in front of the sway bar mount that was suitable to use with a custom bracket. I bent a stock canister bracket 90 degrees and cut/drilled a piece of aluminum to drop it down to where it would fit. I can probably get a pic of it installed if this doesn't make sense.
    IMG_1535.JPG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

I would email Gnari as I believe they email the instructions to you so its worth asking....

I have seen several guys reference to using a ranger radiator but I never did put enough time in to find out exactly what year you would need but this should be the cheapest route!

I went with one from RonDavisradiators.com 623-877-5000
    Part# 1S-26193F (or you might want to look at 1S-24193F as its 24" wide) stock car radiators. But you'll need to custom order it to have the inlet and outlet diameters changed to 1 1/4 inlet, and 1 1/2 outlet. Also the radiator does NOT come with a drain. If you want one order it with one. All of this will cost extra...

SAM_0431 by Judge Dread, on Flickr

SAM_0433 by Judge Dread, on Flickr

SAM_0679 by Judge Dread, on Flickr

Some Boost
    Thanks! I just emailed them.

Some Boost
    Well, so that won't work. They don't modify the inlet or outlet. Will my stock radiator hoses "stretch" over a 1/4 inch larger inlet/outlet if I order a radiator so equipped?

No... Thats why I had to cut mine off order the correct size and pay a local guy to weld them on. So your kinda back to checking summit for a 86-99ish ranger 2.3L radiator.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolBoy View Post
    No... Thats why I had to cut mine off order the correct size and pay a local guy to weld them on. So your kinda back to checking summit for a 86-99ish ranger 2.3L radiator.
    Well. I ordered a unit from Griffin that will fit. I'll have to tackle the hose issues when I get it. If I have to get the old ones welded on, I guess I will. Any thoughts on a fan? Something like this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-ELECTRIC...EAAOSwzBJaeqg7

Some Boost
    So to finish this up, here is where we stand:

*Had to order new radiator. I went with a 24 inch Griffin unit. Also had to order couplers and reducers to use stock hoses.
    *New radiator fan. 16 inch low profile.
    *New radiator mounts will have to be fabricated.
    *Charge pipe that connects to throttle body will have to be trimmed about 3 inches to fit properly.
    *Bottom radiator hose support is lost. Will have to fab something else up or just delete it.
    *I think they forgot to include the coupler for the BOV to charge pipe.
    *Will have to relocate or delete the charcoal canister.

All in all, I don't recommend this kit unless you want to spend another $300 + to install it. I asked for pictures of the kit installed in an otherwise stock car with A/C and received 9 pictures of either incomplete installations or vehicles with modified radiators, and zero pictures of a complete installation.

I hope to get this completed in the next 3 or 4 days and will post the final results when I do.
    Last edited by majestic; 06-15-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more mods

Noob
    Majestic...I’ll get you pics of my Gnari front mount installed with the stock radiator. I also installed it with factory turbo clock position. The only I lost was the charcoal canister. I need to find a place for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can easily roatte the charcoal canister and bracket so it's at the same place on the lower frame rail, but protruding into the right front fender area. under the rail versus into the engine compartment area.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob

Some Boost
    Thanks for the pictures, luxy72. I guess I should point out that I did not have a stock radiator. Dave installed a stock width radiator, but it was thicker. So there was no way it was going back in, anyway. The charge pipe that connects from the bottom of the intercooler to the pipe going to the throttle body was too long to connect without bending the coupler almost in half. I trimmed about 3 inches off to get it to fit. I ended up modifying one of the Gnari radiator brackets to fit about 8 inches farther towards the driver's side to seat the radiator. I still have a couple of hours, at least, to go. I have to trim the radiator hoses and see how I'm going to get the coolant tank back in.

How does the BOV attach to the charge pipe? Is it supposed to seal with the o-ring and snap-ring connector that come with the BOV? I'm not using it in BPV configuration since I have a PIMP.

Some Boost
    I'm also wondering if there are differences in this kit fitting a 85.5/86 vs 84/85?

Noob
    The blow off valve fits into the pipe with a snap ring. As far as I know these kits fit 84-86. Also I had to trim the pipe going to my throttle body since I am using a 95 G.T. t-body. It took me a good 6 hours to get this in trying to figure out how to make it all fit.

Some Boost
    Finally got it running again. I'll upload some pictures soon. I did have to trim another inch and a half off the ic to tb pipe to get the hood to close. I'm wondering why the fan doesn't kick on unless I turn on the AC? While burping the radiator the temperature got up to between the a and l. The stock fan controller should still control the new fan, right? Driving down the road the gauge stays between o and r. My son is happy to be back in the car and loves the blowoff valve sound

Its possible that the coolant switch for the fan has gone bad, but keep in mind the stock one kicks the fan on at like 210*ish. You can always put a painless brand switch part number 30110 kicks the fan on at 195 and off at 185...

Some Boost
    You have a blue 84/85, luxy72?

Noob

Some Boost
    Nice! What color did it start out?