Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: V-belt question

V-belt question

I'm probably going to convert to a manual steering rack this spring and will be removing the PS pump, with the alternator staying in more-or-less the factory location. The factory belt pair moves around 4 pulleys and turns at roughly 90-degree angles. With the power steering pulley gone, it will now be a triangle pattern with a tight radius around the alternator. My question is: will this cause too much strain on the alternator and/or the belt itself? I was hoping not to have to mess with a serpentine setup or idler pulley.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

The load will be less aas the PS pump takes the most power.

The smallest radius of the belt travel will not change - while the length of travel at that smaller radius increases. The net result is the belt alternator will never slip on the alt pulley.

I wouldn;t worry abotu it at all. More concerned about such a front-heavy car with manual steering.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Thanks. My long term plan is speed sensitive electric power assist, so this is just phase 1. If there is any interest, I'll do a write-up when I get closer to the end goal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    My long term plan is speed sensitive electric power assist, so this is just phase 1. If there is any interest, I'll do a write-up when I get closer to the end goal.
    Would love to hear more!!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

...so this is just phase 1...
    I suspect "phase 1" will not be much fun. I have seen/heard a lot of negative feedback from those who have gone manual, wishing they had never done it.
    However, the electric assist sounds really cool. I love to see integration of new/old in cars. Please keep us in the loop!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Here's a detailed write up on adding EPAS in a 66 mustang using jy parts & a few off the shelf parts.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...787114?page=11
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

There is also info for the EPAS conversion over on TF. I’ve looked at doing the conversion for awhile now.

Does anyone have a part number for a 2.3L alternator bracket with no power steering? The parts stores actually have a belt listing for an SVO without power steering, and I'm assuming it's a reference to these earlier 2.3L engines. I know some people use Pinto brackets, but I'm not sure if it's the same on a Mustang. I'd prefer to buy belts by application rather than by length. The belt they recommend for the non-existent SVO w/o power steering is about 2-3" too short for the stock SVO bracket.

You may not want to hear this, but this is what Chip Givens did for that same need. He took a belt & cut it to size to fit the alt. He took that belt to the store & found one that length that worked. That was for his Pinto.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I may end up doing just that. Dayco makes a good quality, widely available, USA-made belt 15### where ### is the effective length in half-inch increments. 46.0" might do the trick. If Mustang brackets are priced like Pinto brackets ($100+ on eBay), it may not be worth the trouble to switch. I also need to keep in mind if I switch from my small case 3g alt to a large case, it could interfere with any bracket changes.

Final follow-up to the belt issue. I ended up using a pair of 45.5" belts with everything else relating to pulleys and brackets remaining stock. The Dayco belts were not identical lengths, but after putting them under tension for a few days, I got them reasonably close. If I were doing this again I would definitely go with 46" belts and probably a different brand.

Final follow-up to the belt issue. I ended up using a pair of 45.5" belts with everything else relating to pulleys and brackets remaining stock. The Dayco belts were not identical lengths, but after putting them under tension for a few days, I got them reasonably close. If I were doing this again I would definitely go with 46" belts and probably a different brand.
    What did you end up using for your alternator bracket...?
    Bad choices make great stories....!