Thread: Hello again!!!

Building Boost

Hello again!!!

Most of you know me... Been out of the scene a long time.
    My poor SVO has been sitting, mostly un-driven for a few years.
    It ultimately needs some serious rewiring, or a new engine harness. Many cracked and broken wires.
    Anyway, I'm going to attempt to get it running and driving well again, this year.
    Took it out last night for a short jaunt down the alley, and I have a brake caliper that's froze.
    Will get the brakes fixed up before much driving...
    Anyone have a clean, unrotted engine harness for an early 85?

I have some harnesses, just not sure what they are from. I can dig and take pictures this weekend if you want.
    BTW...glad to see you around again!

EEC harness (TFI, IAC, injectors, BAP, etc.) or Electrical harness (lights, charging system, etc.). Or Both?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    EEC harness (TFI, IAC, injectors, BAP, etc.) or Electrical harness (lights, charging system, etc.). Or Both?
    A little bit of both...
    I've done the 3G swap, so my alternator wiring is OK.
    TFI pigtail has been replaced, but the wires further back are cracked and in bad shape.
    Wiring all along the drivers side strut tower is a mess. I took it out of the loom trying to trace the fan wiring, and discovered a lot of the wire insulation was cracked and falling off. A short waiting to happen.
    I'm not even sure a factory harness would be a good route to go.
    3G swap. Aftermarket cooling fan and controller...

Quote Originally Posted by indysvodave View Post
    Most of you know me... Been out of the scene a long time.
    My poor SVO has been sitting, mostly un-driven for a few years.
    It ultimately needs some serious rewiring, or a new engine harness. Many cracked and broken wires.
    Anyway, I'm going to attempt to get it running and driving well again, this year.
    Took it out last night for a short jaunt down the alley, and I have a brake caliper that's froze.
    Will get the brakes fixed up before much driving...
    Anyone have a clean, unrotted engine harness for an early 85?
    Welcome back! I was in the same situation and decided it was time to give the SVO some attention so I got it out of storage. Fixed up some issue and glad to have it back on the road. Just took it for a ride today and plan on driving/fixing all summer!

Building Boost
    I drove mine more last night than I have in the last five years...
    That's not saying much, though.
    I have a list of things to do to it before driving it often, or far. LOL.
    First thing is getting my aftermarket cooling fan controller to work.
    Second is getting the wipers to NOT work! (They came on, and stayed on, even with the switch turned off. I pulled the fuse, for now.
    Left turn signal isn't working. might be bulbs, but I've never had both go out at the same time...

Building Boost
    So after a few false starts with a defective fan controller, and then breaking my aftermarket fan, I've ended up with a Hayden fan controller and a Contour dual electric cooling fan, and it seems to be working correctly now.
    Also figured out my turn signal was working, but the indicator light in the dash wasn't. Took dash apart, and removed cleaned the bulbs, and all is well there, now, too.
    Took the wiper controller apart, and figured out how it works... sorta...
    Now Wipers work like they should... for now.
    However, I took the wipers off, and put them somewhere they wouldn't get damaged or lost...
    And now I can't find them...
    Drove the car to work today. Hope rain holds off till later tonight.
    Daughter was excited to get dropped at the sitters in the SVO. She had to get her out to check it out.
    The to-do list keeps getting stuff marked off, but more stuff added to it.

Glad you're making progress. I've not done anything to my '84 for a month or so...at least you're working on your SVO.
    It's cool you daughter loves riding in it.
    Keep going!

So after a few false starts with a defective fan controller, and then breaking my aftermarket fan, I've ended up with a Hayden fan controller and a Contour dual electric cooling fan, and it seems to be working correctly now.
    Also figured out my turn signal was working, but the indicator light in the dash wasn't. Took dash apart, and removed cleaned the bulbs, and all is well there, now, too.
    Took the wiper controller apart, and figured out how it works... sorta...
    Now Wipers work like they should... for now.
    However, I took the wipers off, and put them somewhere they wouldn't get damaged or lost...
    And now I can't find them...
    Drove the car to work today. Hope rain holds off till later tonight.
    Daughter was excited to get dropped at the sitters in the SVO. She had to get her out to check it out.
    The to-do list keeps getting stuff marked off, but more stuff added to it.
    They are in that safe place..... you know, right where you put them.

Definition of an SVO. Cross one think off the list, add two!

You are making progress and driving it so that's a good thing.

Welcome back, Dave!!

Keep pluggin' away!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Found the wipers and put them back on. Drove it up to about 55, and had a horrible vibration when letting off throttle. For home and jacked it up and found the driveshaft bolts about to fall out! Sheesh. Picked up some blue loctite today and will make sure they don't come loose again.
    We've had storms and hail in the forecast, so I've been leaving it in the garage. Would rather deal with hail damage on my truck than the svo.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Found the wipers and put them back on. Drove it up to about 55, and had a horrible vibration when letting off throttle. For home and jacked it up and found the driveshaft bolts about to fall out! Sheesh. Picked up some blue loctite today and will make sure they don't come loose again.
    We've had storms and hail in the forecast, so I've been leaving it in the garage. Would rather deal with hail damage on my truck than the svo.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk
    Ooops!

At least it was a simple fix and you caught it before it caused you to add about 10 more things to the To Do list!