Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: AC line or part # needed

Some Boost

AC line or part # needed

The line that connects the lower condensor fitting to the tank by the firewall melted yesterday. Does anyone have this part or the part # for me to order it.

Some Boost
    Liquid line. Found one on Ebay for $27.

Some Boost
    So...... that was the head gasket going

Kind of at a crossroads with this project now. This has to be the most expensive $6k car I've ever owned. Not sure whether to dump it or get ready to spend some serious $ on a new motor. Probably just going to limp it home and let it sit for a few months.

Half Boost
    Head gaskets are cheep. Time consuming but not the end of the world. We all have been down that road before.

Changing head gaskets is good practice!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Changing head gaskets is good practice!
    Not the kind of practice I enjoy.....

Probably going to take some time to think about what to do next. I'd kind of like to just build a new motor with an aluminum head, big cam, big injectors, etc. I don't know if there is anyone around here who can handle all of that, though. This engine has about 177k miles, so I don't think just slapping a new head gasket on is going to work for long. For whatever reason it popped the HG while only running 12lbs of boost. I'm guessing it was running lean, but I wasn't driving it when it happened.

Half Boost
    Better to do a head gasket and tune the fuel than build a new motor and burn it up!

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    Better to do a head gasket and tune the fuel than build a new motor and burn it up!
    For sure.

Update..... the good news is it's not the headgasket. It's leaking coolant below the turbo. I can't tell if it's the line or the housing itself without access to a lift. I've been planning to upgrade the turbo and manifold anyway, so I guess I need to get those parts ordered. Any recommendations on a turbo and manifold? I don't want to say money is no issue, but I don't mind spending for good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    This has to be the most expensive $6k car I've ever owned.
    No one ever said owning a SVO was easy or cheap. It is a 30+ year old car, so things are going to break & wear out.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    No one ever said owning a SVO was easy or cheap. It is a 30+ year old car, so things are going to break & wear out.
    Oh, I know. It's just frustrating that a lot of the items that have broken were relatively new when I bought the car.

Some Boost
    Most likely the leak is the small connecting ~2" hose from the turbo to the hardline to the block. Easiest way to check this is to remove the starter and PS engine shock absorber so you have a clear view and access.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Most likely the leak is the small connecting ~2" hose from the turbo to the hardline to the block. Easiest way to check this is to remove the starter and PS engine shock absorber so you have a clear view and access.
    It's not the line. The leak is coming from under the turbo, above the coolant line. I'll just have to take the turbo off.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Well, you were correct. I figured I'd go ahead and verify that before taking the whole thing apart. As soon as I took the top hose clamp off, I could see where the hose had split all the way around. It was spraying coolant back under the turbo. Kind of a pain to change, but it's done now. So..... I have a boport 1.5 cam kit on the way anyway

One other thing. The hose that I replaced was some sort of blue silicone. I took it to the parts store and told the guy I needed this size, but stronger/more heat tolerant. I explained that it was a coolant line, but close to the turbo. He gave me some reinforced heater hose. Will this hold up ok?
    Last edited by majestic; 07-31-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Question on hose

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    One other thing. The hose that I replaced was some sort of blue silicone. I took it to the parts store and told the guy I needed this size, but stronger/more heat tolerant. I explained that it was a coolant line, but close to the turbo. He gave me some reinforced heater hose. Will this hold up ok?
    "Normal" heater hose (1/2" ID, ~3" long) won't last near as long as the reinforced silicone hose. DO NOT use non-reinforced silicone hose - you want the multi=-layered stuff with the fabric in-between.

And DO NOT use serrated clamps. Use only clamps that are completely smooth on the inside. The serrations will cut the hose material.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    "Normal" heater hose (1/2" ID, ~3" long) won't last near as long as the reinforced silicone hose. DO NOT use non-reinforced silicone hose - you want the multi=-layered stuff with the fabric in-between.

And DO NOT use serrated clamps. Use only clamps that are completely smooth on the inside. The serrations will cut the hose material.
    Well..... I reused the hose clamps that were on there. They are standard clamps but I didn't cinch them down too tight. I'll likely order some reinforced hose and do the job again with smooth clamps. That might be what caused the failure in the first place.