Thread: Stock Suspension Alignment

Stock Suspension Alignment

So my 84 was off the road for awhile and needed struts and tires. Replaced the struts with Gabriel cartridges and got new General tires last fall. I can't remember how the previous set of tires wore but I'm starting to see some slight cupping on the outside of the PS tire.

My thought going into this was just to try to keep the strut positions the same and see how close I get (watching for wear) without doing an alignment right away since the rest of the suspension hasn't been replaced. Maybe I'll get lucky.... not.

I think at this point I need to get the alignment checked to see how good/bad it is.

Suggestions before I schedule an alignment and how much adjustment can be made with a stock set up. Didn't plan on CC plates at this point.

Thanks.

Half Boost
    A quick search for alignment settings found 3 threads.
    https://www.svocop.com/forum/showthr...nment+settings

Yea, I did a search and most results were coming up with CC plates installed. Wasn't sure if that was because of suspension mods or limitations of a stock set up. I'll check with the guy doing the alignment to see what his program calls for.

Half Boost
    The street settings will be the same. The CC will only give more caster. You can use as much positive caster as the stock onion heads will give you but even side to side. Then set camber -1.25 and your alignment guys ideas for toe with stock bushings. I don't know if they have spec's for an SVO, may be the same as Fox but don't know?

OK, thanks for the info.

You get cupping on the outside edges from too much toe-in, and/or low tire pressure w/high cornering speed.
    Is this a DD or do you occasional race it?
    For DD - go with factory specs.
    For Autocross/racing - drop the camber more negative than stock, set toe-in to 0 *note - this will increase wear for a DD
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    You get cupping on the outside edges from too much toe-in, and/or low tire pressure w/high cornering speed.
    Is this a DD or do you occasional race it?
    For DD - go with factory specs.
    For Autocross/racing - drop the camber more negative than stock, set toe-in to 0 *note - this will increase wear for a DD
    Thanks!

My guess was a toe issue. Certainly not high cornering speed.

DD, no racing, just glad it starts every time I turn the key. lol

Are the factory specs in the shop manual? Have been to busy/lazy to check, will have to go look.

Hmmm, I might have to adjust the PS a bit before I go for an alignment just to see how close I get?