Thread: Windage tray

Windage tray

Anybody using one? What brand?
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I jhave one in th e shop - don't know who made or sold it originally.

Couldn't use it as I could not get it to actually fit without interference in my engine - 2.5L crank, & main cap straps (which changed the base positioning).

IIRC it doesn't mount via the main bearing bolts/studs - need to add new threaded holes in the cap straps. But I've slept since I last mucked with it.

It could use a new home, btw.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I'm running between 3200-4500 right now because it's so much fun. I will slow it down mainly because it wants to push oil out the dipstick. I have the crankcase and the head vented good. I'm hoping if I can keep the turbulence down maybe it won't come out the tube. Or maybe a vacumn pump. I can't get to involved in drilling caps with my hand.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A windage tray will not change the crankcase pressure which is blowing oil out your disstick tune (and valve cover breather and any leaky gaskets, ...).

You need less piston/ring blow-by or more crankcase venting to reduce the crankcase pressure.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    A windage tray will not change the crankcase pressure which is blowing oil out your disstick tune (and valve cover breather and any leaky gaskets, ...).

You need less piston/ring blow-by or more crankcase venting to reduce the crankcase pressure.
    Fix this problem first ^^

Then look at one of these:
    http://racerwalsh.com/product/2-3-windage-tray-rwa1950/

I used it in my circle track motor (2.4L stroker) a few years back. While I can neither confirm nor deny the claimed additional HP, I did notice lower oil temps. We were turning 5-6k RPM (naturally aspirated, carb, headers, high compression, etc - old school rules).
    Bad choices make great stories....!

I looked at the Racer Walsh tray. True it won't reduce the pressure. The pistons, rings and head are good. I've been researching vacuum pumps. Very interesting info about piston blow by into the crankcase which creates piston ring flutter further increasing blow by. I'm looking into a vacuum pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    ...I have the crankcase and the head vented good...
    Tell us more about this^^
    You really shouldn't need to run a vacuum pump.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

3/4" hose from the crankcase breather to a 5/8" T fitting on the valve cover. New Pistons and rings redone head 10K so I know thats not the problem. It doesn't smoke on start up or when it's running. The guides and the seals are good. I'll probably be pulling this engine out this winter and installing a stock motor I'm building now. Then I'll go back thru big engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    New Pistons and rings redone head 10K so I know thats not the problem.
    That's what I though on my last motor till we realized the guy went to big on the piston to wall clearance.

Some Boost
    I installed the Stinger open breather system on my car and the dipstick no longer jumps out and oil stays in the engine.