Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cam, new problem

Some Boost

New cam, new problem

Recently got the car back after getting a Boport 1.5 cam kit installed. Really like the performance of it, btw. I am now having a problem with the dipstick coming loose and blowing oil out. Not a ton, but any is too much. I've ordered a new PCV to verify that, but what else could/should I do?

Some Boost
    I also just noticed that it smokes lightly only from the driver side exhaust.

Black smoke?

Be sure to use the proper motorcraft PCV.

Did you check the valve seals while you were replacing the cam?

Check the intake hose & VAM for residual oil. The hose is pretty easy to clean out with Armor all extreme wheel & tire cleaner. Take the hose off & liberally spray it with the cleaner on the inside & outside if needed. Use a bottle cleaning brush, long wheel brush, or similar to lightly scrub the hose after the Armor All has loosened up any residual oil. Rinse it out with a water hose or soak it in a bucket of water & repeat as needed. Simple green can be used instead, but I've had better luck with the Armor All. The VAM should be easy to clean out using clean dry paper towel or rag. I check this every time I change the oil in my car.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Valve stem seals were replaced a few months ago when I had the RR cam installed in place of the wiped stock cam. I didn't have them done again for the Boport cam, didn't think it would be needed. I ordered the correct Motorcraft PCV. It should be here in a week or so. No VAM for me as I'm running a PIMP. Seems odd that I didn't have the issue with the dipstick until getting the bigger cam. I might need to start planning a new engine build as this one as 175k miles on it. I probably would have been wise to have spent the money up front for a lower mileage car. Oh well, what's another few grand here and there?

Some Boost
    Since you have the Pimp ecu, you need to install the crank case and valve cover vent system that you can find on stinger's site. Once I installed mine, the dip stick stays in its proper place.

Yup, just what Mike said. What else has been altered from stock on the car besides the PIMP, cam, & valve train? You can't start making modifications without first knowing everything you'll need to do along with those mods.

I have 156,xxx miles on mine with only a mild roller cam, rebuilt turbo, & bypass valve. The bottom end should be fine with only 175,xxx miles on it. There are many more out there with >250,xxx on a stock bottom end & even a complete stock motor without issue.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Since you have the Pimp ecu, you need to install the crank case and valve cover vent system that you can find on stinger's site. Once I installed mine, the dip stick stays in its proper place.
    Seriously? I've been running it for several months now. I didn't have any problems with the dipstick until I had the Boport cam installed a couple of weeks ago.

Some Boost
    I can't seem to locate this kit on Stinger's website.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    I can't seem to locate this kit on Stinger's website.
    Here is the how to:

http://stinger-performance.proboards...em-engine-blow

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I've seen that. Does anyone make a kit that doesn't look all patched together?

Some Boost
    Not that I am aware of. I used silicon hoses from mcmaster-carr for a better look and mounted the catch can where the charcoal canister used to be.

Some Boost
    I've seen that. Does anyone make a kit that doesn't look all patched together?
    I have no first hand knowledge of this kit, but I saved it as something to consider when I get to adding mine.

https://kevkoracing.com/collections/...=1227463000078
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCurtin View Post
    I have no first hand knowledge of this kit, but I saved it as something to consider when I get to adding mine.

https://kevkoracing.com/collections/...=1227463000078
    That does look nice. Stinger seems to indicate that you need a 1 inch line, at minimum.

Oops, or two 1/2 lines. Is the line from the vc breather 1/2 inch?

Some Boost
    Hmm, the image doesn't match with the selection. Click on the images and there is one with 2 hoses, two inputs, a replacement for the 'can' on the block etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you need to drill and tap the valve cover. I've seen several threads where leaving the stock breather on the valvecover, but running the hose to the catch can is enough volume. The benefit of the stock breather being less oil.
    1984 Mercury Capri RS
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCurtin View Post
    Hmm, the image doesn't match with the selection. Click on the images and there is one with 2 hoses, two inputs, a replacement for the 'can' on the block etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you need to drill and tap the valve cover. I've seen several threads where leaving the stock breather on the valvecover, but running the hose to the catch can is enough volume. The benefit of the stock breather being less oil.
    I saw the correct image, which is why I asked if the line coming out of the vc breather is 1/2 inch. I may go ahead and order it and see how it works. Thanks for the link, btw.

Some Boost
    What happens to the turbo inlet connection? Just cap it off?

Some Boost
    Welp, order placed.

Some Boost
    If you want something that is known to work, I would follow Stinger's advice on components and sizes. Mine works. I used the 1" crankcase hose and 3/8" for the valve cover. Both vent to the catch can.

Some Boost
    What happens to the turbo inlet connection? Just cap it off?
    Yes, just cap it off.

Another catch can you can look at is the Tracy Lewis dual port Monster can. Theres 2 versions the sealed RX version or the signature can that can be opened and cleaned... The signature one is what I'm considering.

Both cans are sealed systems, and measure 4"x10".