Thread: Rear Main Oil Seal

Rear Main Oil Seal

I have some confusion. I had pulled the engine on the 85.5 4E while repairing and painting the car. The shop guys pulled the oil pan for me and painted and reinstalled it. Well the engine is back in and I’m trying to fix the leaks and the rear main seal is leaking pretty good. So Napa is telling me I need Felpro BS40620 a 1 piece for 85’s and up. But they also show it could be Felpro Bs40380 which is a 1 piece for 85’s and earlier. I thought the 85’s had a 2 piece oil seal. They also show a teflon seal that is available and should work. So I need to get pan gaskets. Which pan gaskets since they could be 1 or two piece?

Noob
    My 85 is a one piece real seal and the pan gasket was a one piece cork. Make sure you check the surface of the crank where the seal rides. If it’s grooved Napa sells a crank sleeve that slides over the end of the crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have already ordered the repair sleeve just in case. Your 85 early or late?

Noob
    3/85 so before the 85.5 changes occurred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 84/86 pan gaskets are 4-piece: two (2) cork strips and brown/red neoprene hump pieces for the ends.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I am fairly certain the rear main seal was 2-piece '74 - '81. One-piece from '82 and up.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    I am fairly certain the rear main seal was 2-piece '74 - '81. One-piece from '82 and up.
    Sounds correct. My 84 SVO had a one-piece rear main seal.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite