Thread: 1986 SVO Dies on Start-up When Cold

Building Boost

Thumbs up 1986 SVO Dies on Start-up When Cold

My 1986 SVO dies immediately after starting when it has not been driven or started for days or weeks. After the 2nd - 3rd try you can get it going. Seems to be a lack of fuel.

Does not do this when warm. Is this a fuel pump issue?? Or an Idle Speed Control Valve issue???

Regards

do you hear the fuel pump come on, check the tps setting.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Boost
    I'm experiencing a similar issue. Almost have to keep my foot on the gas for a minute like an old carburated car.
    I'm going to be checking my fuel pressure at the rail with key on to see if the pump is priming enough fuel to the rail before starting. It's kicking on, but I don't know how much pressure there is once it primes.
    I also having been running out this tank of old gas to see if that might be the issue.

Half Boost
    Try priming it 2 or 3 times before cranking. Check the connection for the IAC to make sure its still in place and the wires are good. Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for fuel (an indication of a bad FPR).

I would start with measuring fuel pressure on first key-on when cold (5+ hour sitting). If it'
    s not able ot fill the tubing in the foirst 2 seconds, it indicates a weakend fuel pump(s) (low flow).
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    do you hear the fuel pump come on, check the tps setting.
    Thanks.
    I managed to source a new TPS and now looking for a competent shop to test and adjust or possible replace..
    Finding people to work on these cars in the North Dallas area is pretty tough...any suggestions from local svo guys appreciated...
    kmat