Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine hard starting

When you have a SVO you should always have a spare TFI. check the tfi and the wiring down there.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Does the tach needle bounce when cranking?
    The tach needle does not bounce while cranking. It does jump slightly when the key is turned on but goes back to zero and sits there. What does the tach indicate?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The tach needle does not bounce while cranking. It does jump slightly when the key is turned on but goes back to zero and sits there. What does the tach indicate?
    This points to PIP, TFI, associated wiring and/or the dizzy is not turning (cam belt, stripped dizzy gears, etc.).
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    I have a TFI on order. I’m having trouble finding a part number for PIP. I know I should keep One in the car.

Some Boost
    I did some digging into it last night. I found numerous wires with crumbling insulation down at the TFI harness plug. One wire to the knock sensor and another One of the wires going to the ACT were bare. The actual wires seemed ok. I did get a spark down by the TFI plug while testing for voltage. I stopped testing at that point. I cleaned everything up with solvent and opened up the harness to exposed the crumbled insulation. I carefully taped everything up and tried starting. No change.

It was getting late so I only did a couple quick tests. Measured 12 VDC on both the red and green wires at the coil input. This would be ignition power. I see one side runs down to the TFI. I did not measure it but most likely it’s present. Still pretty much points to the TFI.

Not sure why only the exposed wires have crumbling insulation. Maybe something to do with the power steering (heat or oil breaking down).

The wire problem is standard on 84 svo's. You can actually buy a pigtail with the plug and wires on it to replace the bad one. I have done several.

Some Boost
    Yes, I know the wire insulation was a problem. It must be something related to the environment around it as only the exposed wires are affected.

I got tired of waiting for parts to arrive nextt week. I have to go to out of town to Taiwan next week and need to move some cars around. I replaced the TFI as suggested and it started right up! Thanks guys for your help!

it looks like it was still the original part. Was’t the TFI a recall by Ford? I know my SVO was never done.

Some Boost
    Ok, here we go again. Car has been running fine for the most part. Probably only have 200-400 miles on the new tfi and fuel pump. I was driving down the freeway, little to no boost and it just cut out. Every thing looks ok under the hood. Cap and rotor look ok. Is it possible the TFI failed again? I have some fuel pressure and hear the pump running.

Waiting for a tow home....

check the alternator wiring and makr sure you're charging. If you haven't done it yet. change the ignition switch in the steering column.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Is it possible the TFI failed again?
    Did you replace the PIP when you replaced the TFI? Is the TFI rotated where it is close the the lower intake?

You may need to perform the wiggle test on your harness once you get it running again to see if there is a wiring issue.

Some Boost
    I did not replace the pip. From what I read, it required pulling the distributor and I was trying to avoid that. I tried wiggling wires but no luck. 8 did tape up all the wires at the TFI. There is one area at the diode which might be bare but being a green wire, I think it’s ground. I’ll have to check for power at the TFI plug.

i took it to get smogged on Friday but the HCs were high at 25 mph. The spout was unplugged at that time so we were around the wires. The next day I drove it 18 miles on the freeway and it just cut out.

Some Boost
    The weather has been bad and not too much free time. I did test for 12 Vdc going to the TFI. That checked out. I also replaced the TFI again. Still no fire.

I guess I will go thru the whole list again.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Some Boost
    Ok, I finally had some time between rain storms. I checked the fuel pressure and 12 Vdc going to the TFI. I previously did a visual on the distributor car and rotor. I decided to pull the timing belt cover and found the belt a bit loose. On closer inspection, the teeth were missing at the crank pulley. Put on my spare belt and set the timing and all is good. My wife was quite impressed.

Next up is a new muffler and tail pipe.