Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine hard starting

Some Boost

Engine hard starting

My 84 GT Turbo does not start 90% onf the time on the first crank. Letting up and trying again, it always fires right up. It does not seem to matter if it’s hot or cold or if it was just turned off. It has about 60K miles. I put new plugs, cap, rotor andd wires on it. It seems to run ok otherwise.

Any ideas?

If you turn the key on without starting the car, does the fuel pump prime?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

I had to replace my Bmap once.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    I really have not noticed hearing the fuel pump noise. It’s a convertible and they are usually noisier. I have waited 30 seconds between key on and start, no difference.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    I had to replace my Bmap once.
    I will has to look into this. I don’t know the relationship of this sensor.

Some Boost
    Ok, replaced the Bmap sensor and reset the battery. It cranked a bit like 15-20 seconds, fired and died. Tried it again and the same thing. Third time no start and smelled fuel. Installed the original sensor and still no start. I can smell fuel now so I guess it’s flooded. Will retry in the morning.

Some Boost
    Ok, still no start. Suggestions? I did not mess with much. All the wiring looks ok.

-Removed the Bmap sensor.
    -Cleaned up the area under the sensor and removed the battery/cables.
    -Installed the new sensor.
    -Reinstalled the old sensor.

It ran fine on Friday.

Some Boost
    Pull the codes?

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Pull the codes?
    Not yet. I was hoping for a quick fix by putting the old part back in. It was late and I was hoping sitting overnight would clear flooding. I will check for codes and power to the ignition. I had to push it in the driveway until I return from SEMA trip.

Have you checked fuel pressure?

BTW - holding the throttle wide open will clear flood mode.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Have you checked fuel pressure?

BTW - holding the throttle wide open will clear flood mode.
    i have not checked the fuel pressure what should the pressure be 39 psi? I did hold the tb wide open with no luck.

Pressure with engine off, key on should be 30-39 PSIG. If it's LESS THAN 30, then you will have starting issues.

Try cycling the ignition key on, off after two seconds then immediately on again (without cranking) while watching the pressure gauge (may need two peoples), repeat several times to see if the pressure increases. If it does it can indicate a leaking FPR, a bad check valve in the pump and/or a weak pump.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Thanks. I will check that out. I do have a gauge I used on my 03 when the fuel pump died.

Some Boost
    Ok, checked the fuel pressure and it is 0 psi. I would assume this means the i tank pump is bad? What’s the best brand these days ?

i can heard 1 pump run for about 5 seconds and it’s much easier to hear with the passenger door open. I see maybe 1 psiof pressure increase but no more and no increase when repeating key on. Again, I’m assuming it’s the in tank pump and I don’t have a second person to verify the outside one is indeed running.

Best pump brands? I’m going with stock since it’s not an SVO.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-03-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Update

On hte 84 there re two pumps:

An in-tank, low-pressure unit that should make ~6PSIG if it is the only pump running (assuming non-kinked lines, non-plugged filter, etc.)

A chassis-mounted high-pressure pump mounted forward of the right rear wheel on he inside of the chassis rail next to the fuel filter. This pump all by itself (without the in-tank pump working)should be able to make 30 PSIG as long as there is any flow coming from the tank.

If the fuel tank is very low AND the in-tank pump is not working, the HP pump won't get any fuel especially after air gets in that hose between the tank and the HP pump.

BOSH was the OEM supplier for the HP pump,. It includes the check valve on the outlet fitting.

There are several listings on rockauto.com for Ford, 84, Mustang, 2.3L Turbo, GT for both low and high pressure pumps. Be sure to install a new strainer/filter sock on the in-tank pump.

This looks correct for the HP pump:
    SPECTRA PREMIUM SP1121 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Failure to install a new fuel strainer (where applicable) will void warranty Info
    Externally Mounted; 2 Fuel Pumps May Be Required; 1 Mounted In-Tank & 1 Externally Mounted
    $40.79

BOSCH HP pump:
    BOSCH 69100 Electric Fuel Pump Info
    In-Line; Hatchback
    $68.79

In-tank pump:
    AIRTEX E2485 Includes Tank Seal; Strainer required to validate the warranty Info
    In-Tank; Low Pressure Pump; TO 11/83; Two fuel pumps may be required, one mounted in-tank and one mounted externally.
    $29.79

Fuel p[ump strainer/sock for in-tank pump:
    CARTER STS2 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Features CleanScreen Technology Info
    To 11/1983
    $3.47

The high pressure pump on the frame rail will pull through the one in the tank if it is not plugged. I would replace the high pressure one on the frame rail first. I have been buying the cheep ones on e-bay with no problems. If you look close you can find the low pressure in tank ones pretty cheep too.

Some Boost
    Thanks guys for the assistance. I ordered a new high pressure pump, Carter brand. Hope to get it replaced next week.

Some Boost
    Ok, I got the new pump installed. No real issues except it was difficult to get the wire boots over the terminals. I don’t think they planned on using them. Now I have 38 psi fuel pressure at the firewall. Still no start. I held the throttle open as well.

Checked for codes, found none. That is assuming I’m usng the code reader correctly. Nothing with key on and nothing after cranking.

I will check for voltage at the coil next.

Have you changed the ignition switch. I have had cars do crazy things and that was the problem.

Does the tach needle bounce when cranking?