Thread: smoking connector

Noob

smoking connector

So I'm attempting to finish the wiring harness replacement I started a couple years ago. I bought the Ron Francis harness back when I started and I've been trying to finish running all the wires over the last couple days. Thought I had everything in place and I connected to the terminal and almost immediately saw smoke coming from one of the connectors that leads to the alternator (I'll post a pic). I reviewed the installation instructions https://www.ronfrancis.com/images/MG65-INST.pdf and step 5 stands out to me as I did not connect the alternator wire from the new harness to the existing alternator wiring because I didn't know if I should splice into the main thick wire or one of the others? Would this be the cause of the smoking connector? Im going to make sure I have good grounds before I do anything else but any advise would be appreciated. I will post pics of some of the connectors that I am unsure about as to where and if they need to be connected. Thanks in advance for helping me get my SVO back on the road, it's been way too long!

Noob
    This is the connector that started smoking when I connected the negative terminal.
    IMG_20181209_143931.jpg

also is this yellow wire connected to the hot side of the starter solenoid? I know the small red elbow attaches to the small nipple on the top of the solenoid, at least I think I know.
    IMG_20181209_143949.jpg
    This is the alternator wire from the new harness that I'm not sure about where to splice into the existing alternator wiring.
    IMG_20181209_164919.jpg

IMG_20181209_164933 (1).jpg
    Last edited by SVOKEV; 12-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.

I think your problem is that yellow wire to the solenoid... I'll check when I get home how my wiring is landed.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Some Boost
    That alternator connector is a know weak spot in the SVO electrical system and should be replaced if you don't want a car-b-que. Mine caught fire after leaving work one day. Luckily it was at a stop sign, and I noticed the smoke and was able to put it out. I can only imagine the carnage if I was traveling down the freeway.

You need to upgrade your charging harness.

Noob
    Thanks for the reply, I've since wired the solenoid properly (no smoking connector anymore) and the motor cranks. I will certainly look into replacing the charging harness as well as an upgraded 3G alternator. Now I need to get power to my fuel pump and get her running again. I found the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat to be rusted out.