Thread: Air Intake

Air Intake

So did a search and couldn't find anything. What have people done for a "cold" air intake recently? Is there anyone that sells them? I know Forced4 used to have a kit. Anyone have one handy that I could see pictures of to try to copy (if copying it is even possible)? I have to get a new exhaust system for my 86, and figure that means I can at least do bolt on mods (so far other than a turbocoupe intercooler and spec clutch it is stock). Adding to that, if I swapped the exhaust with a stinger kit and also modified the intake, would that cause issues with the ECU tune? Even as old as it is, I'd assume it could handle that.

Thanks
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine

Half Boost
    If you still have the stock VAF then you are most likely to have to fab this stuff for yourself. The stock air box and flex pipe to the turbo is a big restriction but the brackets that hold the VAF and air cleaner box are integrated together. Loosing one makes a project out of the other. I believe that there is no problem with the computer but it seems that there is something about keeping the VAF level? Also are you working with an 84/5 or 86? The 86's have a hole in the fender you can use to locate outside the engine bay. No knowledge of 84's.

When I still had a VAM, I used a drop-in K&N.

After removing the VAM, I used components from the March Performance ram air kit and some custom silicone elbows.

IMG_1740-1200x900.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

I have an 86. right now engine wise the only mods are a turbocoupe intercooler and a drop in K&N filter element, so VAF would still be in play. While outside the engine bay would be ideal, it isn't a necessity. I know the stock setup flows terribly, and just want something to help it breathe a little easier.

I'll have to check out the March ram air kit, and what it takes to get rid of the VAM too, as I haven't looked at that for a long time. Thanks.
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine