Thread: Replacement Exhaust

Some Boost

Replacement Exhaust

I need a new exhaust, muffler and tail pipe are rusted out. Ihave been searching around to see what the current options are for my 84 GT Turbo. Since the Ford parts book lists the same replacement as the SVO, many of my searches came back to this site. I’m not looking for anything performance oriented or 3”. This is what I have found so far in my search for a stock exhaust. And, oh I’m looking for used or NOS Ford as well.

Complete System: Stinger has a complete 3” system but no chrome twin tip. Walker seems to make all the stock pieces but most suppliers don’t list all the pieces. NAPA might have all of the Walker pieces but no chrome twin tips.

Tail pipe tips: I thought the twin tail pipe would be the hardest thing to find. It seems there are 2 of them around. Stinger and Weston. Both are weld on and 2”.

Muffler: pretty much lots of these around with offset inlet and outlets. One just needs to make sure it matches up with the inlet and outlet pipe sizes. Summit was the only one advertising one for the SVO and Turbo GT. Pipe sizing on it seemed to be close to stock.

Mid Pipe: Actually, this seems to be the hardest part to find. Most of the time it’s not even listed with a replacement part number.

Tail pipe: not too hard to find but it’s going to be a standard Mustang single tip, Walker 2”. It would require the chrome twin tips to be welded on.

Half Boost
    The mid pipe has the catalytic converter in line. Look under "catalytic converters " when looking up the mid pipe. Since you said NOS I'm guessing you are trying to stay bone stock? Otherwise get rid of the cat if legally possible for you and the car will run better.

Some Boost
    Actually, what I was referring to was the pipe after the cat. Since Ford never sold it separately, I used the wording from the aftermarket suppliers such as Walker. They call it a mid pipe.

Pretty much all of California requires an OEM specific cat even as a replacement.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I need a new exhaust, muffler and tail pipe

Mid Pipe: Actually, this seems to be the hardest part to find. Most of the time it’s not even listed with a replacement part number.
    Well, I went to a local guy to have the Intermediate Pipe (mid pipe) made. After 2 weeks with the old pipe and no new pipe made. I went back and picked up my old part. I sent a note to Walker Exhaust since they had no listing. They replied having no replacement part or ever having made this part. So, no luck finding one there or anything from old stock.

Next, I went to AP Exhaust. Here I saw some hints that 84-86 Mustang 2.3 na, 2.3 turbo, 2.3 svo, 3.8 and 5.0 Intermediate Pipes (left) might be the same AP 38250 part. AP lists a 2.25 clamp which matches up to the OEM pipe size. Summit hinted some of the same pipe interchange.

i found the AP 38250 on EBay for $32 shipped. I’ll let you know how it fits.

Some Boost
    Well, it’s been a while. I received the AP pipe but it turned out to be too small. Too small for the cat flange, too small pipe and too small outlet. Shape and bends were correct. It must have been for a non-Turbo.

Back to trying to get a mid pipe made. I found a local guy who made one up the same day. I had two made, 2.5” pipe which is fine for a non-SVO or stuck SVO. I had the pipe stretched to fit over the muffler. I was now able to get it smogged. Next step is to get the tail pipe made. At least I can drive it now.

Some Boost
    Walker Exhaust.gif

Maybe this will help.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Walker Exhaust.gif

Maybe this will help.
    That only works for 85.5/86 and requires the fuel pump to be relocated on an 84.

Some Boost
    I used this muffler. 2.25” inlet and outlet. Still working on the tailpipe.
    Walker Exhaust 18236 Sound FX Muffler