Thread: H&R Spring Guidance

Noob

H&R Spring Guidance

I am currently in the middle of a suspension project on my 84 and can't make up my mind on this last step. Here is the list of items under the car:

- MM Subframe Connectors
    - Chuck Warren poly engine mounts
    - Koni Red's that have been rebuilt in the last 30-40k miles

Items Being installed with this project:
    - MM Extreme Solid LCA's
    - MM Factory rear uppers and rubber axle busings
    - Eibach 25mm Rear Sway bar
    - MM CC Plates
    - Poly trans mount, Front LCA Bushings, Ball Joint boots, Tie Rod Boots, F&R Spring Isolators, Rack Bushings, Rag Joint Bushing

Having all of this work being done, I believe I would be foolish not to do something with the springs on the car. From everything I have read, the Eibach springs are not that great in our cars. I have read that everyone pretty much swaps over to H&R springs after being disappointed with the Eibachs. I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on the H&R Race Springs 51650-88, but I am concerned about how they will jive with my stock Koni Red's. I think the H&R Sports might drop the car too much and introduce ground clearance issues and geometry issues, but I am open to suggestions.

To save the inevitable "What are your goals with the car" question, I will answer with: I am not sure. I like the way it handles now, I just am looking to have it handle better what I have now. I guess an all around car with good handling in the corners.

I have also been given the suggestion of the Ford Motorsport B Springs.

Any guidance provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Sam

Motorsport B springs with stock Konis is a known combo that performs well, and is a nice, moderate drop. I couldn't find the spring rate for the H&R Race, but I'd be concerned about them being too stiff for the stock Konis.

I'd probably wait on the sway bar until you see how the car handles with everything else. You might change your mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

I have had very good luck and performance with the H&R Sports drops the car just about right and still provides a good ride without being too stiff like the H&R race. Install the front sway bar links to make up for the drop by cutting the tube off about 7/8" and installing the short piece on top. I will try to post a pic of this set-up if possible. My Avatar shows car with this drop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tommyb; 01-24-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: trying to install pic

Noob
    Hi, realizing this is an old thread. Have been online to H&R and Eibach and neither has springs listed for 1986 SVO Mustang application. So, don't see anyone referring to part numbers they've installed. For example, what are the Motorsports B springs, are these in current Ford Motorsport catalog, what's p/n? Thanks for helping out. Just purchased my SVO today. Waiting for delivery. Thanks

The H&R Sports for the V8 Mustang work fine PN 51650, the ride by no means is too harsh, make sure to do the modification shown above to make up for the drop in ride height. I am running P235/45/17 tires on a little wider than stock rim with no tire rub issues there would be no rub issues with the stock tires as well. Picture shows car with H&R Sports installed not too low IMOIMG_0127.jpg