Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Formula 1 Racing Thread

2019 Formula 1 Racing Thread

Time to get the 2019 season rolling!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Kimi Raikkonen will drive for Alfa Romeo in 2019 after leaving Ferrari at the end of last season

Sauber will be rebranded as Alfa Romeo Racing from the start of the 2019 season.

Alfa Romeo was last on the Formula 1 grid as a constructor in 1985 but returned to the sport last season as Sauber's title sponsor.
    The Swiss team say the ownership and management structure remains unchanged but the Sauber name will disappear.Sauber has been a fixture in F1 since in 1993, when team boss Peter Sauber made the switch from sports car racing.Kimi Raikkonen, the 2007 world champion, and Antonio Giovinazzi will race for the rebranded outfit, which finished eighth in the constructors' championship last season and will again be powered by Ferrari engines in 2019.Team principal Frederic Vasseur said: "After initiating the collaboration with our title sponsor Alfa Romeo in 2018, our team made fantastic progress on the technical, commercial and sporting side. This has given a boost of motivation to each team member."We aim to continue developing every sector of our team while allowing our passion for racing, technology and design to drive us forward."The Italian car manufacturer dominated the early years of F1, with Giuseppe Farina winning the inaugural world title driving an Alfa in 1950, before Juan Manuel Fangio claimed the first of his five titles racing for the team a year later.Alfa will roll out their 2019 car on the first morning of pre-season testing, which gets under way in Barcelona on 18 February.
    Analysis

Chief F1 writer - Andrew BensonThe renaming of the Sauber team as Alfa Romeo may on the one hand be a rebranding exercise for marketing purposes, but it is also a seminal moment in Formula 1 history.It marks the first time an F1 team will be solely named after the iconic Italian manufacturer since 1985 - and the first time the Sauber name will not be on the grid since 1993.Both entities have carved a unique place in motorsport history.Alfa Romeo were a major force in grand prix racing between the wars, spawned Ferrari and won the very first F1 world championship in 1950, even if their history in the sport has been somewhat less illustrious after they faded away in the mid-1950s.Sauber, for their part, first entered F1 as a proxy for Mercedes, with whom they had previously had a successful period in endurance racing.After Mercedes joined McLaren in 1995, Sauber went it alone, before joining forces with BMW from 2006-9, and then becoming independent again. They had just weathered a difficult financial period before heading back up the grid in 2018 after the Fiat Group made investment in the team following the decision for the cars to carry the name of its Alfa Romeo brand.Those links have just become stronger still, and they suggest the now-renamed Alfa Romeo team could continue the upward progress seen last year most obviously in the starring performances of Charles Leclerc, who is now at Ferrari.Politically, it is also an important move. It further enhances the team's status as a Ferrari B team - already evidenced by Leclerc's promotion and the presence of Italian Antonio Giovinazzi in the car this year alongside ex-Ferrari veteran Kimi Raikkonen.In addition to Ferrari's strong relationship with Haas, that increases the company's strength as negotiations over the sport's future beyond 2020 enter a critical phase this year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47089294

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Testing in Spain:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/47174881

Ferrari *finally* fires/replaces Maurizio Arrivabene:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...mattia-binotto
    ( YEAH!! )

Does anyone pay for the F1 streaming service? I know it got off to a really rocky start and I never heard if it improved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

I am not a subscriber.

A start to the new F1 season (first race next weekend - Australia) if you have NetFLIX. A series titled "Formula 1: Drive to Survive"

Preview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMDH_at1_o

Charlie Whiting: F1 race director dies aged 66 on eve of season-opener in Melbourne

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47564762

Sigh.

Who will reprimand & punish the teams now??

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    Prediction: Hammy wins driver's championship.....again. Mercedes wins the constructor's. I don't think Ferrari is capable of getting out of their own way at this point. Change my mind.
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Ferrari needs to fire everyone currently on staff. To punish them for not winning more.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    A start to the new F1 season (first race next weekend - Australia) if you have NetFLIX. A series titled "Formula 1: Drive to Survive"

Preview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMDH_at1_o
    Dammit Mike! I was never into F1 (no time). Binge watched this, now I'm hooked.
    Gotta a lot of catching up to do. Still haven't seen any 2019 races (no spoilers!)

Question for y'all - how are the 10 teams determined?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Hazards for cars & recovery cranes alike in Baku today. How could they not think to weld the manhole cover shut? It also takes a rookie to drive directly over a manhole cover.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Dammit Mike! I was never into F1 (no time). Binge watched this, now I'm hooked.
    Gotta a lot of catching up to do. Still haven't seen any 2019 races (no spoilers!)

Question for y'all - how are the 10 teams determined?
    Not too long back there were twelve (12) teams - with two (2) cars each. The current rules limit the qnty of cars to two (2) per team while there, afaik, is no limit to the number of teams. As long as the teams can qualify using the 107% rule and commit to competing in at least one full season.

There may be a limit of 24 of cars on track at one time, which would effectively limit the qnty of teams but I do not know if such a rule exists.

It’s been an interesting season so far. I was hoping for a Ferrari resurgence but it’s not happening yet. At this point I’m expecting RB to start beating the Ferraris.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    ... I was hoping for a Ferrari resurgence but it’s not happening yet. At this point I’m expecting RB to start beating the Ferraris.
    Yep. The leader is *still* Merc, while Ferrari is now capable of competing head-to-head with [and not beating!] Red Bull.

Not even close to "...bringing it to Mercedes."

Proving once again that bringing the Ferrari head boss to the track is not a winning strategy.

Sad.

Animated Italian Gigolo blueboss's Avatar
    Mattia Binotto: Ok, just for shits and giggles, let's keep the faster car behind the slower one until we're absolutely sure he's really faster. Shouldn't take more than 3-5 laps.......
    "Some trannys can operate both types of gearboxes but manual gearboxes with clutch pedals are more difficult to operate with heels on."

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Mattia Binotto: Ok, just for shits and giggles, let's keep the faster car behind the slower one until we're absolutely sure he's really faster. Shouldn't take more than 3-5 laps.......
    After watching Germany Qualifying today, I've concluded that Ferrari needs to fire the top ten (10) people again. It's clearly a management problem.

I hear Jean Todt is available. And I'm sure Michael Schumacher (in his current vegetative state) would have more success with Ferrari than the current "management". Just sayin'!

Sad.

It ended up being a pretty interesting race! Ferrari made a good showing and I wish the race hadn’t been shortened as I believe Vettel would have caught Verstappen. Verstappen would have run him off the road, but that’s another discussion. Mercedes made a really poor showing at their home event. Bottas is really struggling with the car and I see him loosing out to Leclerc, Verstappen and Vettel pretty much the rest of the season.

Definitely a great race to watch.

I'm wondering if LeClerc will even be with Ferrari at the end of the season. He shows great promise and is certainly faster than Vettel in sprinting, but makes too many expensive mistakes.

Except for this race, LeClerc has been Ferraris’ only excitement this season. Who would replace him? I hope things turn around soon. I also want Haas to get fixed, unfortunately their fix is to replace their drivers. Three years with the same problem, what is Gunther thinking?

Haas is now - at least - getting into Q3. That's a major improvement over past years.

Ro-Gro needs to "retire". IMHO.