Thread: Heater box replacement foam

Half Boost

Heater box replacement foam

I'm doing the heater core in my 84 and would like to replace the foam too. Does anyone know where I can get new or an idea for a suitable substitute?

Noob
    Hey dagenham,

I did this on my 84 SVO back in 2015. Like a loser I never updated the thread where I asked the same questions over at SVOCA. So here goes:

I initially purchased two different thicknesses of Armaflex scraps from a local insulation shop here in Lynchburg. After cutting it all out, I did not like how spongy the foam felt so I started digging deeper for another option. I finally settled on some Ethylene Vinyl foam from Grainger. The item numbers I purchased were 5GCF5, 5GCJ6, and 5GCF4 (3/8", 1/2", & 3/4" respectively) and are 12"x12" squares. I used a hollowed out Staples highlighter, where I tapered the fat and skinny ends, as a punch to make the holes in the foam. Here is a link to my Google Photos album of the rebuild of the internals.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aNt3bwGCunfLoL7PA

I also rebuilt the blend door using scrim foam that I picked up from a local upholstery shop. Any upholstery shop should know what you are looking for if you call and ask for it. It is used to make the seats look puffy when they stitch ribbing and gathers in a seat or seat back.

Hope this gets you on the right track. I will try to keep my eye on this thread to see if you have any other questions.

Good luck. The hard work for doing it right is worth it in the end!

-Sam