Thread: EGR Vacuum Solenoid Dead

Building Boost

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Dead

Hi all,
    I discovered after running a series of test below that the EGR vacuum solenoid may be faulty and causing EGR system to not operate normal.
    My questions are:
    1. What's the expected resistance between the two solenoid terminals? I measured 75 ohms.
    2. Does anyone have a good working solenoid for an 85.5 SVO they are willing to sell?
    3. If no one has a spare, can you recommend an non-OEM solenoid?
    4. Are there additional EGR tests I need to perform to conclude the culprit is the vacuum solenoid?

EGR Test Performed

1. EGR Valve Test: Passed - With the car running at normal engine temperature, removed vacuum line on EGR valve and connected hand held vacuum pump to EGR valve vacuum nipple. Applied 15Hg of vacuum pressure. Diaphragm stayed open and motor ran poorly.
    2. Vacuum Line Test: Passed - With engine off, applied vacuum pressure from the EGR end of vacuum hose and pressure stayed at 15Hg.
    3. Verified vacuum line source pressure measured 19 - 20 Hg.
    4. Test EGR Vacuum Solenoid: Failed (IMHO) - With engine running at normal engine temperature, disconnected EGR vacuum solenoid connector from solenoid. Applied 12V from battery to solenoid terminals. Heard clicking noise from solenoid but engine didn't run rough or stall and EGR valve diaphragm did not open to allow exhaust gas through.
    5. Resistance between solenoid terminals read 75 ohms.

Thanks and your comments are appreciated.
    JC

Some Boost
    I have one you can have $25 + shipping.

Building Boost
    PM sent