Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1986 SVO Mustang Return to Service

Building Boost
    Yeah, I suppose losing all of your money is a thing you could do...I can imagine that would be a good way to keep getting invited to people's poker games.

I am hoping to have the time and cooperative weather to allow me to get out into the garage and work on the car this weekend. If things go as planned I will have it running again by next week...I hope

Building Boost
    Had to order a new aux shaft. Too far gone on the one in the car. Bought a supposedly good condition used set of both gears. If they are a fail I guess it will be billet parts up next.

I gave some NOS auxiliary shafts in the garage if you decide you need one.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Oh...I guess I should have asked here first. I bought a pair of aux shaft and distributor gear off of ebay for $100. If it blows up I guess I know who to ask.

Building Boost
    Just to keep this updated while I wait for the replacement aux shaft and distributor gear to arrive. I have gotten a little bit of work done since last week. The hood pull was broken, the cable had snapped because it had been eaten by battery corrosion. I replaced the cable, removed the battery tray, cleaned up around the battery tray area. I am waiting on some wire loom holders to arrive from Amazon so I can clean up the routing of the wires before reinstalling the battery tray. The good news is that there was no corrosion under the tray, it did its job. I pulled the gauge cluster and replaced the light bulbs that were burnt out. My daughter really liked this project because she got to put the parts back in. Now all of my indicators work as intended. I purchased some KYB quad shocks and installed them. They are a placeholder for some future Koni replacements once I get the car fully functional again. I got them for very cheap and it was one of those things I figured I would do. I cleaned up the gas tank, got all new seals on it, the top vent seal was very perished and had a lot of dirt caked around it so I am guessing that is where the fuel leak was coming from. Got the tank back in the car. I have a few other small projects to tackle, but the big one, getting the distributor and aux gear back in the vehicle and getting it running, is still on the horizon. Hopefully the parts arrive this week and I can fire it up for the first time in a few weeks by the end of the weekend.

Building Boost
    Keeping it rolling along here. I know that I am not making legendary progress on this project, but I do what I can when I have the time to do it.
    I drained the oil yesterday when I got home from work, I wanted it to have ample time to drain all the way out. I also placed a screen over the opening in the container that I drained it into to see if any large metal chunks came out. I suppose it is good news that none did. I am assuming that means that either the oil filter caught the damaged parts or they were fine enough that they slipped past the screen. Either way, I am going to put new oil and filter in/on it this weekend when I get the new parts installed. My plan is to run it for about 100 miles or so with this new oil and filter (assuming I get it started and it does not suffer another catastrophic failure) and then change the oil/filter again to make sure that I got it cleaned out. I am putting a magnetic drain plug on it as well so I can observe if any metal contaminants were captured in the sump.
    The plan is to get it back to a running state this weekend. I will not start driving it until I can get the wiring mess cleaned up and get it past a safety inspection, but running and able to move under its own power again would be a nice change.

Note that only iron (some steels), nickel and cobalt are magnetic. No other metals will be collected by the magnet (copper, aluminum, zinc, etc.)
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Yep, I got that. I am looking for pieces of the distributor gear that were ground/broken off. I tested it with a magnet just to be sure that it was cast iron. I hope it will be ok. I dont have the ability to pull the engine out in order to remove the oil pan in my current garage. I wish that I did as I would be more comfortable knowing that I got the shavings out, but I am just going to hope for the best.