Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Where is the high beam indicator?

Building Boost

Where is the high beam indicator?

So, the title says it all I think. I need a high beam indicator light per the state of Texas, but I dont know where it is supposed to be. When I turn on the high beams there is no light that comes on in the dash to tell me that they are on. There does not appear to be any obvious place where an indicator would be on the gauges. There are the 4 rectangular lights on the left of the gauges. The top 3 are not the high beam indicator, and the bottom one looks like it doesnt do anything...I suppose that could be it, but I cannot tell without taking the gauge panel off and I want to make sure it is not in some other wonky place that I am not looking at. I have tried looking at pictures online, but the information that I keep finding is not for SVO mustangs or even for the early fox bodies, and the gauge clusters from the later foxes look completely different.

Dont worry, this is not the last stupid question that I will ask...it even took me a bit to figure out that the key needs to be in the ignition and turned to on in order for the hatch button in the glove box to operate.

Center top of tachometer. Small rectangular opening near the top. Should light up in Blue.

Let me see if I can find some pictures.

Found pics. Right next to the "5" (for 5,000 RPM) at the top of the tach gauge. First pic shows where the light bulb goes (IIRC standard 197). in the ear of trhe cluster housing. They use small twist-lock (maybe 1/4 turn) plastic bulb sockets that push down spring contacts to the cluster foil on the rear of the white housing.

Th orange covers (third pic) is how the gauge edges are illuminated in orange. IIRC non-SVOs used a greenish color.

Img_8592.jpgImg_8617.jpgImg_8590.jpgImg_2387.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    That would be helpful, because the center top of my speedometer is the odometer and there doesnt appear to be anything else there. I am having my wife go out to the garage and look though because sometimes I try to use the force instead of my eyes, and I am no jedi...and I am at work so I cannot go out to the garage because it is 5 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by brotharon View Post
    That would be helpful, because the center top of my speedometer is the odometer and there doesnt appear to be anything else there. I am having my wife go out to the garage and look though because sometimes I try to use the force instead of my eyes, and I am no jedi...and I am at work so I cannot go out to the garage because it is 5 miles away
    I lied - tach not speedo. See pics.

YEah to see five miles you need Superman eyes, not The Force. The Force is most useful to let you know when Superman enters the building - looking for you.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I lied - tach not speedo. See pics.

YEah to see five miles you need Superman eyes, not The Force. The Force is most useful to let you know when Superman enters the building - looking for you.
    So I have been using the force wrong. Now I get it. Well, I used a kind of Superman eyes...my wife's cell phone...to get pictures of the thing from 5 miles away. You are correct. Now I have to take that apart and replace that bulb, but at least I know where it is.

Also, thanks for the pics. Those will be super helpful!

I have [almost] billions of detail pics of SVOs. Mostly 84 flavor, but a good collection of all years too.

Building Boost
    Any chance that there is a repository somewhere where I could download them for use/safekeeping? I am certain that I will need many reference images to help me out as time goes by.
    Also, the white gauge faces look pretty cool. That might be something else that I do down the road. Seems like they would be easier to read than the stock black ones.

Nope - no hosted repository available. And no bandwidth to even think about such as task.