Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Front lower ball joint wear indicators / boot replacement

Noob

Front lower ball joint wear indicators / boot replacement

Hi guys,

Just in the process of replacing my worn / torn / sticking front lower ball joints on my 85.5. I am sourcing a pair of used replacement original lower control arms and joints, but did not realize these ball joints had wear indicators built into them. I will be checking my original installed joints and the replacements ones when the arrive to see how they appear. Will also try to "service" them as pointed out in an earlier thread, but will need to source replacement joint boots. Any thoughts on who / where to get them from? Is Paul from SVPV still around? Or how about the mentioned Prothane brand boots?

Thanks!

Some Boost
    If memory serves me, 72 Chevy pick up truck ball joint boot will work.

Noob
    Thank you, I did get ahold of Paul from SVPV and he does have stock available for these. Prothane 19-1835 will work as well I hear... Energy Suspension 9-13126G may work also, but may be a little too large in size...
    Just waiting on the delivery of the 2 control arms that I have coming next week. Will see what shape they are in when they arrive. I will be removing the original control arms from the car next week and will see if those ball joints can be saved (they are tight now, the boots are apparently ripped and the steering feel is sticky). If they aren't salvageable, I will be visiting local machine shops to see if they can do the pressing and machining that is required to put in an SN95 ball joint.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    If memory serves me, 72 Chevy pick up truck ball joint boot will work.