Thread: LEDs in my 86 SVO

LEDs in my 86 SVO

I installed these lights in my '86, WOW!

I can not believe how bright my lights are. It is like one of these brand new cars that you see with those extra bright "White" light. I am very pleased but it has only been one day so I dont know how they will work out in the long run. They do NOT seem to be blinding anybody oncoming so I think they are good. I am really speechless on how bright they are.

EZ install, no modifications. Was a little tricky getting the retainers to lock but the prob was more me than anything else. These are a direct fit and was a 1-2-3 job.
    I know the picture does not do it justice but look at the ground in front of my car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SVO LEDs.jpg
    Frank
    1985.5 9L
    1986 1D owned since 1992 and on the road!

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    I installed these lights in my '86, WOW!

I can not believe how bright my lights are. It is like one of these brand new cars that you see with those extra bright "White" light. I am very pleased but it has only been one day so I dont know how they will work out in the long run. They do NOT seem to be blinding anybody oncoming so I think they are good. I am really speechless on how bright they are.

EZ install, no modifications. Was a little tricky getting the retainers to lock but the prob was more me than anything else. These are a direct fit and was a 1-2-3 job.
    I know the picture does not do it justice but look at the ground in front of my car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SVO LEDs.jpg

They do look bright but that light leaking out the top makes me think you are probably blinding oncoming traffic.

It is raining and the pic is not really well focused. I stood further away and it does not seem to be blinding. There is a pretty distinct "line" that cuts off the beam and directs it straight and down and not upward that I can see when I am against the garage. I am gonna have to have my daughter drive it and I will drive her car to see if it is indeed blinding.

I also preemptively sprayed the adjuster screw threads bc they were pretty tight since they have not been touched prob in 33 yrs or so.... I will play with them and think they will be OK bc they are pretty focused.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L

Half Boost
    I have a burnt out head light and could use these as my lights stink. Already have LED's all around on the outside. Thanks for the link.

Building Boost
    Thanks for sharing this information. I’m very interested switching to LED bulbs. Please keep us posted on how the new lighting is working out. Thanks

Half Boost
    Did the kit you have, have the wire coming out of the side? I got a set and the fan body does not want to go through the retaining ring, retaining ring ID is smaller than the fan. They are way brighter though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brsvo; 02-22-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Half Boost
    Well I brought the light and retainer inside and there is only about .010" interference between the light fan housing and the retainer. A little Dermal work and it all came together with out a hitch. The bulb base is much larger in diameter so oepning up the retainer .020" was no big deal. Just have to be gentle as the retainers are brittle to say the least.

My retaining clips may have not been perfect from removing them a few times in the past. It is possible a tab or 2 have cracked slightly and allowed the fan to push through. I did not have a problem and did not look too closely as I was doing it. The wire def has to bend to pass thru but all in all I had no real issues and could not be happier with the results.

Even a few months later I am still shocked how bright they are when I pull the switch, a total games changer for me.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L

I want to add that the pictures do not do justice on the brightness. I also installed new aftermarket headlights to replace my hazy ones (one was cracked too). That helps even with standard bulbs but it is on a whole new level with the LEDs.

Like I said before, I prefer to drive my SVO at night if I have to go somewhere or run an errand.

During the day in broad daylight, if I flash the brights I can see the reflection on street and stop signs from 1/4 mile away!!!
    Frank
    1985.5 9L

Half Boost
    If you can't tell from the picture the Drivers side is still stock and the PS is the LED.

Yes I see that, I hope they look as good for you as they do for me.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L