Thread: Head studs and head gasket

Some Boost

Head studs and head gasket

Which ARP head studs are the correct/best? I see the 151-4202 and 151-4702 available. Which ones are better or preferred. Also, looking to get a cometic head gasket. Any recommendations on that?

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    Which ARP head studs are the correct/best? I see the 151-4202 and 151-4702 available. Which ones are better or preferred. Also, looking to get a cometic head gasket. Any recommendations on that?
    The thing with the cometic gasket is it requires a surface finish that most shops can't actually give. Its a level of smoothness that can't be discermed by hand. It take an expensive scanner.

Half Boost
    I don't know what your goals are but the standard Fel Pro works great for most app's.

Some Boost
    Ended up going with a McCord 7062M and the 151-4202 studs. I remember the McCord being an upgrade over stock and found one online. Machine shop said the 4702 undercut studs would be for an aluminum head.

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    ... s would be for an aluminum head.
    You will need to do something to allow the use of a MUCH largerr outer diameter hardened washer under the nuts. The washers that come in the kit are not appropriate for soft heads.

See the Red baron Power thread for my experiences with the sift aluminum used in the Essy heads and how the washers sink, not allowing hte fasteners to stay tight..
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    You will need to do something to allow the use of a MUCH largerr outer diameter hardened washer under the nuts. The washers that come in the kit are not appropriate for soft heads.

See the Red baron Power thread for my experiences with the sift aluminum used in the Essy heads and how the washers sink, not allowing hte fasteners to stay tight..
    I don't have the aluminum head.

Nevermind.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite