Thread: New Member, just bought first SVO

Noob

New Member, just bought first SVO

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased an '85 SVO, my first....and my first Mustang. The previous owner made a lot of upgrades. I plan to take her to HPDE events, but I need to take care of the brakes / tires. What rear pads do I need? I found fronts by Hawk and EBC, but can't seem to find the rear pads. I'd also appreciate any recommendations on wheels / tire sizes for open track events. Thanks. Looking forward to this new SVO adventure. :-) Kaz

Welcome Aboard!

Fols here like to see pictures.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

All the info you want is here, just put it in the search. Congratulations on getting a SVO. They can be tricky to work on. Get all of the brake fluid changed. I'm not doing track days so I just use rear brake pads from Advance Auto.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noob
    Thanks. I'll keep trolling around the site. I'll check what Advance Auto sells and see if I can get a cross reference to something more heavy duty. Enjoy the weekend.

Kaz

Noob
    Hi! Do you have a part number on a good rear brake pad for track use? EBC or Carbotech, Hawk, anything reasonable. Having trouble finding anything other than standard street pads for the rear. Thanks, Kaz

Some Boost
    When I had stock brakes, I used Hawk Blues on the front and EBC yellows on the rear. Flush and fill your brake fluid with Motorcraft DOT3. It has the highest boiling point of any DOT 3 fluid available until you get into the race fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kkotlow View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'd also appreciate any recommendations on wheels / tire sizes for open track events. Thanks. Looking forward to this new SVO adventure. :-) Kaz
    Welcome Kkotlow!!!

The original 1993 Cobra R rims were 17X9 and 5 lug like the SVO. These work good and I think there are 17x8's out there as well now. I think I used 245/45/17 tires. HUGE improvement in handling on windy country roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    7B SL55