Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: HTC Racing brakes

Noob

HTC Racing brakes

I recently bought front calipers from HTC Racing for my '85. I bought Hawk Blue pads, part no. HB125 E.650, the opening of the inside of the piston, facing the pad, is far too wide for prongs on the back of the pad. is there an alternative Hawk part number that will fit? Thanks.

Kaz

The three (3) anti-vibration prongs on the pads are sized for the thicker phenolic pistons. The steel pistons have a much larger inside diameter. Just bend the spring prongs out to where they can hold the pad into the steel piston.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Thanks. Guess I'm just worried its not enough to keep the pad in place properly. Are phenolic pistons likely sufficient for HPDE use?

The inside (piston-side) pad will stay "in place" when the caliper is mounted over the rotor. So it can't fall out.

The ONLY purpose of the springs is to dampen vibration of the inside pad to reduce NVH (noise and clanking).

Some people say (tm) that high heat causes the phenolic pistons to stick. That was not my experience though - and I'm a fanatic for late braking - which generates a lot of heat. In my experience the piston sticking is due to old, dirty fluid.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Thanks again. Enjoy the weekend.....as much as you can with things the way they are.