Thread: Helmets

Half Boost

Helmets

I am considering if I want to buy a new helmet. Always bought Bells in the past but there are many others. What are your opinions?

Arai, I had one on when I hit a truck headon on my motorcycle smashed the windshield. Didn't hurt the helmet and saved my life! Well worth the cost. Arai #1
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    Full face? How did you fare other than that? I had a head on and it wasn't pretty by any means!

I assume this is for some competition or track use by a sanctioning body? If Yes, get the latest (now probably SNELL 2015 or 2020 certification and always in full face (but first, check what the sanctioning body requires!).

Decades back the basic rule was if open cockpit (formula cars, karts, etc.) go full-face and if closed cockpit (cars in general that have a front windscreen) you can use an open-face helmet. Makes it easier to talk with student/instructor, for examle.

Now-a-days it's full-face everywhere. Some tracks do not allow open-face helmets.

The recent trend (past decade?) is to make helmets MUCH lighter. Generally using carbon fiber and LOTS of $$$.

Next item to consider is a HANS device. Easy with real race harnesses but not so easy with street car 3-point harnesses.

And gloves. Gotta have gloves.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

My experience, dating back to 2001 - 2004, was with the modification for radio interface kits in the helmets. Back then Arai was the lightest & easiest to work with. Bell was slightly heavier & once you took the foam out for modifications, they didn't go together as well.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I tore the nerves out of v-4,5,6 loss use of my left arm bicep, and left hand, God gave me a second chance!
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    Thanks for the reply's. Just for autocross and open track events, maybe a trip down the drag strip. Don't need communications and don't want to spend a ton. Toyed with the open face as they are a little cheeper but full face makes more sense. The new (SA2020) helmets come out in October from what I found online. Mine is a 10 and I don't know who will accept it. Don't want to get to OK and find I have no helmet. Sound like there will be no loners this year with the virus situation.

Glad to hear you got a second chance!

Half Boost
    Well I ordered a Simpson Voyager 2 helmet. First helmet I have ever bought without trying it on. Hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    ...Mine is a 10 and I don't know who will accept it. Don't want to get to OK and find I have no helmet....
    Just got verification from John at Midwest Shelby, helmets need to be SA2010 or newer to run at Hallett.
    Looks like I'll be buying a new helmet.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Note that helmets for automotive and auto sport applications MUST have the "SA" label on them.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    While on the subject of protective equipment, the track calls for long sleeved shirt for drivers. Just so no one missed that.

Well I ordered a Simpson Voyager 2 helmet. First helmet I have ever bought without trying it on. Hope for the best!
    Did you get your helmet? How’s the fit?
    i procrastinated, too late to order, gotta buy one off the shelf locally, but most likely won’t be able to trial fit. This’ll be a first.

While on the subject of protective equipment, the track calls for long sleeved shirt for drivers. Just so no one missed that.
    Good catch Bruce, didn’t see that.

It's always a good idea to use long sleeve shirts (cotton or wool - NO SYNTHETICS), long pants (cotton / wool), & closed-toe shoes (no sandals or slippers).

Yet another item i forgot to pack for this trip. I've had to much going on these past few months. I'll have to pickup a shirt along the way on our trip.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Half Boost
    It's weird the Hallet page says long pants nothing about shirts. But I saw it somewhere else and won't push my luck.