Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: 84 Underhood Wiring Repair

Noob

84 Underhood Wiring Repair

I got an 84 last week with wiring issues. Many of the wires under the hood have the insulation missing or falling off. I've looked at the wiring on the steering column and it all looks good so I believe the wiring issues are due to the underhood heat. So I need to do something with it before I'm going to risk hooking the battery up. With the way the insulation is falling off I have to believe that depinning the connectors 1 wire at a time and applying heat shrink probably won't work because the insulation will also be falling off internal to the harness. Also with the insulation having been gone for an extended period the bare wire is corroded.

So my next idea was to use parts of a TC harness. I have scrapped a pair of 87/8 TC that I pulled the harnesses from. While I can see many of the connectors are different and in different places I'm hoping I can make something work. While I'm at it I'm probably going to upgrade the injectors and go to an L series ECU.

Anybody done something similar to repair an 84 harness?

steve

Half Boost
    The 84 harness is junk. The TC harness has way more wires than you need for a SVO harness but if you are good with wiring all you neeed is there. I should not comment as I stink at wiring. I scrapped my 84 harness for a 92 NA harness and paid my buddy
    to make it to work.
    You are on the right path get rid of the engine harness and build something fresh. If you can afford it now would be a great time to go to a pimp.

Noob
    I'm sticking with a stock ECU, probably an L series as I have to rewire anyways (and that's what the harness I'm starting from had). I might go to a MAF but I'll probably just get it running first.

steve

Did you rewire the car? Did you pull the engine to install the harness. I want to install a new harness in my 85. Would like to not have to pull the engine.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    You might want to check with midlife harness repair for options.
    http://midlifeharness.com/

Some Boost
    Another good option for a engine harness is Ron Francis wiring, they make a complete replacement harness with all new connectors. Not exactly cheap, but worth it.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn and stop)

i'M Looking at the Ron Francis harness. Is that the one you used?
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    i'M Looking at the Ron Francis harness. Is that the one you used?
    yes I am i stalling a Ron Francis harness in my car (the Pimp harness version). Not 100% plug n play but A good quality harness.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn and stop)