Thread: New member from Cape Cod

Noob

New member from Cape Cod

Greetings all, new member as of today. I learned about the group from member @70b302cat who I met at a NH car show last weekend.

My car is a 1986 Black (1C) with cloth/sunroof purchased in May. It was near Philadelphia PA but purchased new in Columbus OH, spent time in CA, then PA and now MA.

Currently has 62,000 miles and is in close to original condition with just some newer, normal maintenance items replaced. It also has sub frame connectors, a frame cross brace, aluminum steering shaft which eliminates the rag joint, a newer clutch with manual adjuster and short throw shifter all added by the last owner. Appears to be fully documented starting with the original dealer receipt and all maintenance items up to my purchase (unfortunately no windows sticker though - waiting for the deluxe Marti report to come which will have a repro anyway).

Looking forward to participating here!

- ScottIMG_4610.jpgInterior1.jpgExterior5.jpgEngine9.jpg

Welcome!! Thanks for sharing. The car looks great!
    Do you drive it much? Weekends? Racing?
    Long range plans...?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Building Boost
    Scott,

Welcome glad to see you found the site.

Dave

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Welcome!! Thanks for sharing. The car looks great!
    Do you drive it much? Weekends? Racing?
    Long range plans...?
    I've been driving it quite a bit actually. Mostly around town but been to a couple "underground" car meet ups this summer and have driven to NH twice so far - last time for the show last Saturday. Put about 3,000 miles on it since May but it will spend the winter hibernating. Not planning to race it in a serious way. Maybe try bracket racing sometime. I'm a bit of a purist and want to keep it OEM as possible - would probably need some mods for serious racing.

Been working from home since second week of March. Started looking at Foxbody's and bought this mid May. Drove and looked at it one weekend, made the deal by phone and flew back and drove it home a couple weeks later - about 350 miles. The trips to NH were around 100 miles each way. So far its proven reliable. Did have the ignition module fail, close to home at least, and needed a tow back in June.

Just a really fun car to drive (of course I've been driving SUV's and trucks almost exclusively since 2000 so this is a big difference). I'll go out and just take a joy ride around town after work.

Luckily the previous owners (I'm number 4) were meticulous maintaining it so it runs/drives great. Trying to live up to their standards. I have had to do a couple minor things - new radiator, thermostat, cleaned the PCV, re-gapped the plugs and a new ignition module. The boost controller vacuum lines were reversed - took a bit to figure that one out. One rear brake started sticking so I put new caliper pin rubber isolators in the rear (they had turned to goo) and greased the moving parts. Next on the list is an ECT sensor, new drivers side window molding (the bottom strip that rubs against the window - mine is crumbling) and new hood/firewall seal. Has the factory radio - over the winter plan to pull it, clean it, replace a blown bulb and then I want to replace the speakers, possibly add a tube subwoofer. It mostly works but the cassette deck could use cleaning/lubrication and some of the controls are noisy and need cleaning.

Its a great car and a lot of fun. I can see why these have a loyal fan base.

Thanks Dave for pointing this group out to me.

Noob
    BTW - that engine pic is from ad which listed the car when I bought it. I've cleaned it since then (carefully, by hand) so its looking quite a bit better Need to get a new pic. I plan to hit a few parts under there with paint like the radiator top brackets, air cleaner and the intercooler mounts but that may not happen until next spring.

welcome, very nice car. all the info you need is here.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome aboard. VERY nice car. Coming will all 30+ years of service history is a find for sure.

There are several other members here that also have low mileage 86 models. We should form a club.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Welcome aboard, nice looking car.

Noob
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by spt87a View Post
    I've been driving it quite a bit actually. Mostly around town but been to a couple "underground" car meet ups this summer and have driven to NH twice so far - last time for the show last Saturday. Put about 3,000 miles on it since May but it will spend the winter hibernating. Not planning to race it in a serious way. Maybe try bracket racing sometime. I'm a bit of a purist and want to keep it OEM as possible - would probably need some mods for serious racing.

Been working from home since second week of March. Started looking at Foxbody's and bought this mid May. Drove and looked at it one weekend, made the deal by phone and flew back and drove it home a couple weeks later - about 350 miles. The trips to NH were around 100 miles each way. So far its proven reliable. Did have the ignition module fail, close to home at least, and needed a tow back in June.

Just a really fun car to drive (of course I've been driving SUV's and trucks almost exclusively since 2000 so this is a big difference). I'll go out and just take a joy ride around town after work.

Luckily the previous owners (I'm number 4) were meticulous maintaining it so it runs/drives great. Trying to live up to their standards. I have had to do a couple minor things - new radiator, thermostat, cleaned the PCV, re-gapped the plugs and a new ignition module. The boost controller vacuum lines were reversed - took a bit to figure that one out. One rear brake started sticking so I put new caliper pin rubber isolators in the rear (they had turned to goo) and greased the moving parts. Next on the list is an ECT sensor, new drivers side window molding (the bottom strip that rubs against the window - mine is crumbling) and new hood/firewall seal. Has the factory radio - over the winter plan to pull it, clean it, replace a blown bulb and then I want to replace the speakers, possibly add a tube subwoofer. It mostly works but the cassette deck could use cleaning/lubrication and some of the controls are noisy and need cleaning.

Its a great car and a lot of fun. I can see why these have a loyal fan base.

Thanks Dave for pointing this group out to me.
    They are great cars. We've been called a lot worse than loyal fans base.

Welcome and good luck with the car.