Thread: Rust prevention

Noob

Rust prevention

Hi all,

Just looking for opinions on rust prevention - especially for the critical areas where it tends to start on foxbody's - bottoms of the doors and the bottom of the hatch.

Right now my car is clean but I know how this stuff can seemingly start without warning.

My doors still have dealer applied rustproofing. The hatch is just factory painted and I don't see any rustproofing though possibly some was sprayed inside. It won't see winters and so far I've been able to avoid anything more than a sprinkle of rain. I do live in a coastal area though so I'm concerned about salt that could just be in the air. I do garage it so it avoids getting condensation/dew from outside on it.

Should I do something like a rust proofing oil treatment on the critical areas? Just leave it and assume keeping it garaged and also off winter roads it will be fine? For winter storage - should I put some a bucket of damp rid in the garage? Maybe even a small bucket inside the car?

Thanks,

Some Boost
    This guy is great with Ford Trucks, I don't live in the rust belt either, but I would use what he uses (Woolwax)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W06WX6JRGM8

He talks about conditioning metal, but what I think he means is oil naturally spreads over metal, and given a choice oil will stick to metal more than water (oil affinity, oleophillic). I use fluidfilm to loosen rust, but all the rust penetrating fluids do the same thing, if I have it right.

Noob
    Ok, thanks! This is a bit cheaper than the the NH Oil Undercoating that I've been eyeing. I just ordered some to try on my trucks and I'll see how that goes.