Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Coolant leak

Some Boost

Coolant leak

We have been chasing down a coolant leak on the 86. We get a decent amount leaking under the car coming down from the top of the bellhousing. I was unable to see where it was originating and replaced the hose to the block from the turbo. I did not notice anything wrong with the hose and haven't started it again as we are still getting the timing/tuning with PIMP set-up. If it turns out not to be that hose, where would you suggest looking for the leak? The other lines are not leaking, btw.

Half Boost
    I have used baby powder to find leaks before but wash it off soon after or it will bake on and never come off.

I would inspect all the coolant tubes. They are well known to have rust issues after a couple decades. There's two that run around the rear of the head, near the EGR tube.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Go to O’Reillys and borrow a cooling system pressure tester, pump your system up to 10-12 psi, and then look for your leak.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Maybe start with just a couple PSI - until the size of the leak is ID'd. Keep in mind that leaks will put sticky coolant all over. Rinse with lots of water from garden hose. Observe local laws as coolant is EXTREMELY toxic.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    It was the hose I replaced, thankfully. Now if I could just get this exhaust leak fixed...

On, Wayne!!

Some Boost
    I have a copper gasket between the exhaust manifold and head. We've heat cycled it a couple of times and tighten the bolts each time. I don't remember having issues getting the gasket sealed on my last SVO, though it did have a Bob's log instead of the e6. I've ordered some different sockets that will work better with my torque wrench and hopefully can get the gasket to seal properly.

Half Boost
    If you have an E6 there should not be a gasket between the head and the exhaust manifold

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    If you have an E6 there should not be a gasket between the head and the exhaust manifold

I know. But it leaked before we got the new head and I figured a copper gasket would fix that. Not so far.