Thread: Dash Pad

Noob

Dash Pad

Need a new dash pad for my 86 SVO - recommendations - I need the pad a cover won't do as mine had cracked through the speaker holes.

Noob
    LMR has them in charcoal which should be the correct color. Do not have first hand experience with it though.

Some Boost
    I bought a red one from Summit a little over a year ago. Fit was fair and required modification to fit better. I did a write up on fep.

Some Boost
    Just Dashes quoted mustang 2 dash at $450 for a Reskin in black and extra $250 for color matching.

Some Boost
    https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...f04291h08.html

https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mu...trim/dash-pads

If you have the paint, I'd get the cheapest color and go from there.

Some Boost
    It’s not so much the color. The fitment on all the repros is far from great. Some cannot be painted.

So, I took my dash pad off many years ago, and unfortunately also took out several screws holding the upper dash body down.
    So now I have a pile of various screws to reinstall, many up near the windshield, before I can put the dash pad back on.
    Can someone possibly post me a pic or two of a dash with the pad off, so I might be able to get enough correct screws into correct places that my dash
    won't be wiggling all over from now on?

Some Boost
    The dash pad screws are available from mustang suppliers. They are black with a medium sized washer round head, about 1” long. Qty. 8.

A collective smattering of dash install pics.

IIRC there are five (5) hex head (5mm, iirc) , large washered bolts that mount the dash on the top (wouldn't be able to get Phillips in/out without removing the front glass).

I probably have some pics somewhere of the bolts (sheet-metal style) and also of the nut plates that screw into.

Img_8393.jpgImg_8394.jpgImg_8397.jpgImg_8406.jpgImg_8416.jpgImg_8417.jpgImg_8419.jpgImg_8423.jpgImg_8428.jpgImg_8433.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Wow, thanks for the replies/pics. I have finally gotten it al reinstalled, albeit with a few suspiciously leftover screws and bolts. I had the screws, not many bolts, so I used them. Had to add several washers, as the original seemed designed for plastic cracking and rattles. Screws with the glass an inch above some of them made for many patient 1/4 turns with the small 90 degree screwdriver.
    But it's solid now, and after 12 years ready for the inspector and tag office to finally get back on the road again!

Post pics of the left over fasteners.

Some Boost
    Nice pics. So is there a metal frame that supports the dash hull? I recently acquired an NOS dash hull and there is not much too it.

There are some metal strips along the bottom, knee-impact area, flex plastic loops for holding wiring harnesses, a metal strip behind the right side trim strip area that holds relays and such, otherwise no reinforcements.

Otherwise no. It's all impact-absorbing plastics by design.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Post pics of the left over fasteners.
    After several years, no guarantee some of these may have accidentally entered the group.
    Is my center console crooked, or is that normal? It sure felt like it installed in original holes securely.
    I seem to remember a bare metal brace on the drivers side going from the radio shroud to maybe the floor somewhere, but if so, don't have it now. It all seems solid enough.

IMG_7048.jpgIMG_7058.jpg

Some Boost
    The 3 matching Phillips head screws on the right are for the dash pad.