Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Starting to come together, finally :)

Some Boost

Starting to come together, finally :)

After finally getting all the leaks and drips (mostly) under control, the 86 1c is starting to come together. Here is what we've done:

*Wiseco 20 over pistons (not what I wanted, but oh well)
    *255 wahlbro pump and 80 lb injectors, running E85
    *PIMP computer system
    *3 inch downpipe dumped into 2.5 inch Flowmasters (will change that eventually)
    *Boport stage 3 head and 1.5 cam
    *Rebuilt stock(ish) T3 and E6 (on the upgrade list, for sure)
    *ARP head studs and upgraded head gasket
    *Gnari FMIC (not a bolt on as they advertise)
    *All new ignition parts and hoses, gaskets, sensors, etc. Upgraded radiator and fan.

We've been tuning with a guy from CA. Jeff is his name, I think. He's very helpful/knowledgeable. Skip the autotune process with tuner studio. It sort of sucks.

Just finished re-pinning the harness for the boost controller to work properly and loaded most recent tune. Only have about 200 miles on the engine and have just started upping the boost. Today's run was set to 14lbs at a low load threshold. This thing feels pretty strong already. Getting all the bumps worked out has been a process, but it pretty much starts up and runs like it should. Can't wait to see how this feels fully dialed-in and at 18-20 lbs of boost.

Party On, Wayne!!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    After finally getting all the leaks and drips (mostly) under control, the 86 1c is starting to come together. Here is what we've done:

*Wiseco 20 over pistons (not what I wanted, but oh well)
    *255 wahlbro pump and 80 lb injectors, running E85
    *PIMP computer system
    *3 inch downpipe dumped into 2.5 inch Flowmasters (will change that eventually)
    *Boport stage 3 head and 1.5 cam
    *Rebuilt stock(ish) T3 and E6 (on the upgrade list, for sure)
    *ARP head studs and upgraded head gasket
    *Gnari FMIC (not a bolt on as they advertise)
    *All new ignition parts and hoses, gaskets, sensors, etc. Upgraded radiator and fan.

We've been tuning with a guy from CA. Jeff is his name, I think. He's very helpful/knowledgeable. Skip the autotune process with tuner studio. It sort of sucks.

Just finished re-pinning the harness for the boost controller to work properly and loaded most recent tune. Only have about 200 miles on the engine and have just started upping the boost. Today's run was set to 14lbs at a low load threshold. This thing feels pretty strong already. Getting all the bumps worked out has been a process, but it pretty much starts up and runs like it should. Can't wait to see how this feels fully dialed-in and at 18-20 lbs of boost.

Yikes!

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post

Yikes!

You think that amount of boost is scary with those mods?

Quote Originally Posted by majestic View Post
    You think that amount of boost is scary with those mods?
    The stock compressor wheel on the T3 won't flow more than 25Lbs/min of air no matter the pressure. To keep the temps from going waaay too high, you should limit that turbo to 16-17 PSIG.

Since you're gonna run it with E85, you could go with a larger (more airflow larger) turbo.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Nice work. I know you've had a lot of problems with it, and I'm glad to see you didn't give up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    owned since 2003, restomod

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Nice work. I know you've had a lot of problems with it, and I'm glad to see you didn't give up.

Thanks. It has definitely been a lot of work. The only problem we are having right now is getting the boost control to work properly with the PIMP. Not sure if it's a wiring issue or what, but it won't go above 15.

Some Boost
    Looks like we have everything pretty well dialed-in now. Got the boost control working properly and changed out the TFI. This thing is seriously fast now. WOT in 1st just burns the tires and it spins a bit through second. Idle is butter smooth now with the new TFI. May try and get some dyno time before long to see how much power it is actually making. My butt dyno indicates that this car is faster than my old red SVO that made 289 hp at the wheels.

Time for better tires??

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Time for better tires??

Haha! Probably will be before too long if we keep driving like that.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Time for better tires??
    I read that as "new" tires, not better. It is wearing the same shoes my SHO has; BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 in the stock size. They probably have 1000 miles on them and look brand new. I really like them, though the SVO could probably use some wider tires at this point.

Some Boost
    I don't know if Jeff Esteban is on here, but a big shout out to him for his tuning expertise. Reasonable price, quick turnaround and very knowledgeable. Car is running great now. If you are running a PIMP, I'd recommend skipping the autotune and let Jeff tune it.

Some Boost
    And..... going to have to pull the motor again Rod knock is pretty bad/noticeable. I have no idea what would cause this with fewer than 1500 miles on the new engine. Getting so, so sick of this thing.