Thread: Overboost light

Some Boost

Overboost light

What does the overboost light actually mean/signal? I've read it might indicate low oil but I've checked and the oil level is fine. Obviously, it could also mean you've exceeded 18 lbs of boost, but shouldn't it turn off after restarting the car? The car runs great, otherwise.

Prior to MY86 (iirc the first SVOs with the oil level sensor) the O'Boost light only came on when manifold pressure exceeded ~17.5 PSIG or when the ignition switch was in Starting mode (while cranking).

Concurrently with the light was an annoying buzzer so both the light and buzzer would come on. And when boost fell below the trigger level of ~17.5PSIG (or cranking ceased), the light and noise ceased. LOTS of O'Boost buzzers were disconnected.

One of the issues the system has is the location of the switches (the EGR solenoid and the O/Boost pressure sensor and the extremely close proximity to the [heat from] turbocharger and associated down pipe. These switches don't live long with all that excess temp and they fail because of it. Could be the switch is melted and dead, or the ignition switch is bad. Or both.

The switch i located on the rear side of the eight side shock tower.. Pic of the EGR solenoid and O'Boost switch, without hoses attached. My apologies for all the red.
    EGR-OBoost.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite