Thread: Rear Caliper Parking Brake Adjusters

Noob

Rear Caliper Parking Brake Adjusters

Had to tear down my calipers and was able to find replacement parts, thanks to Mike Fleming for the tech article. The problem I have is the new pistons don't have the adjusters installed. My adjusters in the old pistons seem to work fine, the problem with my calipers was the chrome coming off the pistons. So I need to know the process of removing the adjusters from the pistons and installing them into the new pistons. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Thanks,
    DC

Perhaps posting some pics of the new pistons you received.

Looking through the factory manuals, there is no mention of moving the threaded adjuster component from one piston to another. All piston pics have that adjuster section already installed. My guess is if you have new pistons and they don't already have the adjuster in them, they're the wrong pistons. Of course it might be near impossible these days to find the correct pistons.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    The piston is the same, the adjuster is just not installed. I got them from RockAuto, only place I could find them and at that they came from 2 different warehouses. I'm thinking I'll take a cutoff wheel and split the old pistons to get the adjusters out and hopefully they simply press into place. LOL, I hope. The next solution is to make brackets and install some other calipers most likely '79-'85 Eldo. That is the only thing I find readily available with a piston the same size and a parking brake. Later model Mustangs the pistons are smaller and I'm afraid that will through off the balance of the brakes. But, I'm going to try this first. Thanks for the reply, if it works I'll report back here.

Noob
    Here are a few pics of how I got the adjusters out of the old pistons. They simply press into the new pistons, I used my bench vice.

20210320_124954.jpg20210320_124939.jpg20210321_170233.jpg

Sweet!

I suppose, back in the day, those adjusters were available as new, replacement parts. Now it looks like we will need to make a tool to pull them out.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Mike after I got them out I think you could simply drill a hole into the flat side in the center maybe 3/8 dia. and take a 5/116 bolt and push it out. I started to try it on the second piston but I already had the cutting blade in the grinder and it only took a couple of minutes so I just went ahead that way. The only thing might be the chrome on the piston would be hard to drill but you could grind through the chrome in a spot and then drill and be fine. One other thing I did was I set the piston height in the caliper after I had the piston in but before I installed the adjuster screw. That way I could just push the piston around and then go back to the bench and screw the one part in till it bottomed and put the little pin in it. I also poured the fluid into the piston before I installed the screw piece, thanks for that little bit of advise.