Thread: Source for aluminum drive shaft

Some Boost

Source for aluminum drive shaft

Can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. Looks like I need part number
    M-4602-G

But everything I can find is for a 31 spline unit instead of the 28 spline. Anybody have a source for this?

Some Boost

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Ordered, thanks!

Some Boost
    Finally received this about a week ago. It is about 1/2 inch shorter than the stock unit. Will that cause any issues with the transmission engaging that much less? Or should I install some washers at the differential to make up the difference?

Should be 45.5 inches center-to-center of the U-joints.

As long as there is 3+ inches of engagement into the gearbox output splines, you're good to go.

BTW - measure engagement depth with the rear diff at normal ride height - it moves in/out as the diff goes up/down.

DO NOT add washers to the space between the diff flange and the driveshaft. It MUST be centered on the diff lip.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Should be 45.5 inches center-to-center of the U-joints.

As long as there is 3+ inches of engagement into the gearbox output splines, you're good to go.

BTW - measure engagement depth with the rear diff at normal ride height - it moves in/out as the diff goes up/down.

DO NOT add washers to the space between the diff flange and the driveshaft. It MUST be centered on the diff lip.
    Thanks, Mike. It does measure 45.5. Just surprised at the difference between the stock and this one.

Some Boost
    Getting a grinding noise on deceleration while in gear and if you "lug" it. No issues when accelerating hard and at higher rpms. I guess we might throw the stock drive shaft back in and see if it goes away. Anyone else run into this with the aluminum unit?

That is a very common noise at low RPMs in a 4-cylinder. The aluminum shaft echo's the noise where the factory steel one has a yuuuge damper at the front.

Solutions I've had success with are to replace the pilot needle bearing and get the gearbox mainshaft endplay within spec (spec is +/- 0.0020").
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite