Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: What belts go on?

Building Boost

What belts go on?

I'm the original owner of this 86 SVO and it has 68K miles on the clock. Just replaced the HR980 AC compressor and am trying to charge the system with 134a (I converted a few years back). I now have only 1 belt on the 2-groove pulley; it goes from water pump to AC compressor using the outer groove (farthest towards front). I'm assuming that one of the other belts was replaced years ago and the incorrect one is on the car.

Do we have a part number list of the belts that should be on the 2.4? and their location?

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

Some Boost
    Double matched set for the alternator and power steering, Gates 7535.
    Single belt for ac, Gates 7385. Per Rockauto.

Building Boost
    Maybe that is the problem. My AC belt is a 7355 right now. I'm experiencing a horrible screech with the AC on. I have replaced the compressor, fearing that it was seized, but now it appears to be a belt issue.

Building Boost
    Just measured the pulley (I have a 2-groove pulley on the AC compressor) for belt length and it appears that the Gates 7345 would work better for me. The numbers I found are as follows:

Gates 7385 : 7/16 X 39 1/16
    Gates 7355 : 7/16 X 36 3/16
    Gates 7345 : 7/16 X 35 1/16

I'm out to get a 7345 right now for testing.

Some Boost
    If you think your belt is squealing, just hit it with water and it will stop for a bit.

The ac is a single belt. The double pulley is the replacement when the ac clutch is replaced.

Building Boost
    OK, the real issue was the orifice tube being blocked. Replaced the orifice tube, vacuumed, charged and now the AC is cooling once again (and now I have a spare HR980 and accumulator). I still get belt squeal when the rpm goes above 3000 so now I'm gonna play with the belt tension a bit.

Drove the car to Oro Valley, AZ and had the AC set on medium all the way as it was getting a bit chilly.

Party On, Wayne!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Party On, Wayne!
    Was gonna call you, but I am still just getting over covid and napping a lot.
    Chuck

I seem to recall it's difficult to nap while driving an SVO.

We will meet next time.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    OK all of you AC guys out there. Here's the scenario. I had a squealing belt on the AC system and it appeared that the compressor had frozen up. I removed the belt and ordered a new HR-980 compressor and accumulator (not cheap). Eventually I got around to replacing the compressor and accumulator. During the recharge cycle, it became apparent that the belt was squealing again. So I dismantled the system again and flushed out the orifice tube (on the liquid line) and got a bunch of junk out of it. Reassembled the system, evacuated and recharged. Now the squeal only happened at 3,000 rpm and above.

Dismantled the system and replaced the liquid line to get a new orifice tube installed, flushed the entire system (condenser, evaporator, hoses) with AC solvent. BTW, when they say put a hose on the other end of whatever you are flushing and put the other end into a bucket, just do it, trust me. Reassembled system with some new oil, evacuated and recharged. Also put on a shorter belt as the existing belt would not allow me to get it to "banjo string" tightness. Cold air again and good pressure readings but the squeal came back but different this time.

I notice that when the belt is squealing, the water pump is not turning telling me that the compressor is stalling for some reason. I finally decided to just drive the thing down to Tucson (from Phoenix) and see how it went. The squeal happens on a regular frequency of about a 5-second cycle. Driving at about 3,000 rpm it begins a squeal that lasts for about 3 seconds and then stops for 2 seconds then starts again. OK, now in Tucson and it still does in so in my mind's eye I can picture a gob of phlegm (or boogers) in the system that cannot get through the orifice tube as fast as it should (causing the compressor to stall and the belt to squeal) until it gets through the orifice. Then it works normally until it gets back to the orifice (like a 5 second cycle) tube. It blows cold air but I think it can detect a small drop in air temp just when the squeal ends and a rise following the squeal start sequence.

My plan is to drive back to Phoenix tomorrow (early to avoid a lot of heat) and stop at AAPAK for a couple quarts of AC system flush, get to my shop, disassemble the system again, FLUSH the crap out of everything and then reassemble, evacuate and recharge. My thought is that perhaps I did not get all of the junk out the last time I flushed or I left some solvent in the system. I also have a new orifice tube in case the existing one shows any junk when being flushed.

Other than that, life seems to be good. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

PS It appears that I now have a good HR-980 compressor w/clutch and accumulator that I can save as a spare for the next time around.

If the water pump pulley stops, then the crank / water pump/ alternator / power steering pair of belts are too loose (or the pully belt surfaces are too polished and need a little roughing up).

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    If the water pump pulley stops, then the crank / water pump/ alternator / power steering pair of belts are too loose (or the pully belt surfaces are too polished and need a little roughing up).
    Bingo. I completely rebuilt the AC system again on Monday morning including complete flush of all "flushable" components, then evacuate for an hour drawing 22 inches of mercury, then a can of R-134a. At the end of the can the squealing started again. I could not get the AC belt any tighter so I drove around Monday and Monday night without AC and with windows down (this in Phoenix, AZ). Tuesday morning, back at the shop, put the gauges back on and the high side read 150 and the low side about 30. Another can of freon until I got to about 225 high and 40 low. It was blowing cold but anything above an idle was a huge squeal. Then I noticed one of the alternator bolts (the pivot bolt) sticking out about about an inch. I put that back in place and then it dawned on me. It was the alternator that needed adjusting. Tightened the two belts and the squeal is no more. I am blowing ice-cold air, no squeal and I'm ready to give away all of my tools, turn in my shade-tree mechanics ID card and will be seeking youtube certification for all projects in the future. Sheesh!

Put yer feet up and have a cold one.

PS - Keep the shade-tree mechanics ID card. It's nice to have shade around here.

Building Boost
    Drove back to Oro Valley from Phoenix last night via Florence, AZ. The AC was so cold I had to turn it down and eventually off as I approached Oro Valley. During the span from Apache Junction, AZ to Oro Valley, AZ I saw about 6 cars. Well, it was like 1:00 AM or so.

-Chuck-

PS, yesterday before departing Phoenix, I checked the water level and noticed the water pump was spitting a fine spray of coolant with the engine running. I picked up a new water pump in Oro Valley today and may use my shade-tree mechanic's ID card to good use tomorrow or Sunday.

That's a good morning project. Before the afternoon sun heats up the shop (or tree).