Thread: Catastrophe

Building Boost

Catastrophe

While driving back to Phoenix from Oro Valley, AZ, via Florence, I entered US 60 Westbound at Apache Junction. Then transitioned to the 202 West and immediately noticed my temp gauge was pegged on HOT!!!
    I coasted off the freeway and ended up behind a Jack In The Box in East Mesa. Much smoke and it really smelled bad, like really bad.

I knew the water pump was borderline as I had a new one in the back seat. I called AAA and about an hour later, the car had cooled enough to try starting it. Sounded horrible so I shut it off. After 2 hours AAA called to say that there were no tow trucks available and try back in the morning. So I Uber'ed myself home (40 miles) and Uber'ed myself back there on Sunday morning. This time AAA got me a flat-bed back home after only a 2 1/2 hours delay. Just before the flat-bed arrived, I tried starting the car and it sounded fine, just no water. Water in the radiator went right out the water pump so I took the flat-bed home.

Once in the driveway at home, I checked the oil and there is none showing on the dipstick (uh oh). I just finished installing the new water pump and next I'll look under the car as there ia a lot of oil under the driver's side. I'm hoping the oil filter gasket failed. I'll let you know.

Chuck

Some Boost
    It's hard to assess the damage unless you tear it down or try to run it and look for issues. You are on the right track. You may get lucky. Probably should keep an eye on the head.

I had my F150 water pump leak and it actually stalled just as I pulled into a gas station. Once cooled, it cranked very slowly like dead battery. It ran and got me home. I added some Slick50 to the oil and a few days later it seemed to be back to normal. I did not have any other leaks etc. but it never got a lot of miles. A few years later, a tear down just showed a broken piston land or two.

Building Boost
    OK, the water pump is replaced, as is the gasket for the thermostat housing. When I added water, there was a leak from the lower radiator hose connection at the water pump. It has the original double band hose clamp on the original red-line radiator hose so I trimmed the hose back about an inch and it now looks good (although there are now no staples holding the clamp to the hose).

I just removed the oil filter and pulled the drain plug. Oil came out from oil pan so it was not completely dry. The gasket on the filter looks pretty flat and mashed so I replaced it with a new Motorcraft FL-300 filter that I had in stock. Next, I'll add oil and see how it runs/leaks.

Building Boost
    Update. Now holds water, holds oil. I let it idle in the driveway for about 30 minutes while the excess oil burned off of the exhaust and catalytic converter. When warm, it does not like to idle. Dies.

Some Boost
    Does the ECU give any codes?

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post
    Does the ECU give any codes?
    Duh, had not thought about that. I'm thinking maybe the cam skipped a tooth or something. Harder than heck to get started (crank, crank, crank) like there is no fuel pressure (I check that also tomorrow).

Building Boost
    Sorry for the radio silence. Yesterday I did a compression check and did #1 @ 90#, 2 @ 80#, 3 @ 30# and #4 @ 30#.

Maybe I am finding the issue...hmmm.
    Last edited by Chuck; 09-16-2022 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Additional info

Building Boost
    OK, so assuming that the head gasket is the only issue, what gasket set do I need to get this puppy back on its feet again?

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    OK, so assuming that the head gasket is the only issue, what gasket set do I need to get this puppy back on its feet again?
    Those #'s seem pretty low (especially #3 and 4), I would have to assume the gasket has failed at those 2 cylinders. But I would also look further into why the psi is so low on cylinder's 1 and 2 as well..probably time for a rebuild..?

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrugated View Post
    Those #'s seem pretty low (especially #3 and 4), I would have to assume the gasket has failed at those 2 cylinders. But I would also look further into why the psi is so low on cylinder's 1 and 2 as well..probably time for a rebuild..?

Motor has 69,000 miles on the clock, all of them under my command, and the initial overheating issue caught me completely by surprise when it occurred. Hmmm.

First off I would verify and check cam timing. Since ALL numbers are so low, the only thing that would affect all the cylinders is the cam timing. Of course setting cam timing on reassembly is part of replacing a head gasket.

Next - was the test done with the throttle blocked wide open?

Where is the car - Tucson or Phoenix?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Throttle was NOT blocked full open; I can redo.

I'll pull the timing belt cover and check the cam timing!

Car still in Phoenix.

Building Boost
    BTW, I am also running a BoPort 1.9 roller cam. Perhaps that can affect the compression if the belt is off a tooth or two?

Building Boost
    I've read somewhere to replace the head bolts when installing a new head gasket. Does ARP offer a set? Or what dimensions will I need to order? Or should I just forget it (wive's tales).

No need to replace the stock bolts - with the 12-point 12mm heads.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    vSituation update: The SVO is in storage in Phoenix, AZ while I figure out my next steps. It sounds to some other folks that I may have stuck the piston rings due to the overtemp. So, I guess I'll be pulling the motor and doing what must be done. Any suggestions for quality work in the Tucson, AZ area (or Phoenix, AZ).

Thanks in advance,
    Chuck

If you were runing any decent synthetic oil, "ring sticking" did not happen.

Thee is a place here in Tucson that is very familiar with Ford 2.3 OHC engines. I don't know if he's still open (I assume, but haven;t checked) as I've not seen him in more than a decade. And we all age out eventually.

Jeff Koerner, Koerner Racing Engines, 520.294.5758

Pull the head to confirm you headgasket is blown. Next you inspect the cylinder walls, if you have a stuck ring the the cylinder wall will more than likely be scored up. If they all look good then replace you head gasket and reassemble. I just went thru this a month ago.
    You will not idle for crap with such low compression in two of your cylinders.

The head must come off and if you are lucky you only need a head gasket like me. The gasket blowing between the cylinders is a common failure point

Thes were my #'s
    cyl #1 = 25psi
    cyl #2 =25psi
    cyl #3=130psi
    cyl #4=140psi

blown HG.jpg
    Frank
    1985.5 9L
    1986 1D owned since 1992 and on the road!