Thread: Bumper Covers, supports, absorbers

Some Boost

Bumper Covers, supports, absorbers

Among things I'm finding missing on my car after 12 years of ownership are anything under the bumper covers.

So I'm trying to piece things together as best I can. It looks like my options for the SVO are ....

Any four bumper energy absorbers from the rear of any fox body will work both front and back, left and right.
    Any rear bumper support for a fox body will work.
    Any front bumper support for a fox body will work, given that one may need a 1" spacer on the supports after 87.

As a bonus it looks like front bumper covers are being built again at $1k apiece.

I haven't found how to remove the absorbers, it looks like there is a bolt that runs through the back that needs to be removed and the shock will slip right out.

Anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Patina View Post
    Among things I'm finding missing on my car after 12 years of ownership are anything under the bumper covers.

So I'm trying to piece things together as best I can. It looks like my options for the SVO are ....

Any four bumper energy absorbers from the rear of any fox body will work both front and back, left and right.
    Any rear bumper support for a fox body will work.
    Any front bumper support for a fox body will work, given that one may need a 1" spacer on the supports after 87.

As a bonus it looks like front bumper covers are being built again at $1k apiece.

I haven't found how to remove the absorbers, it looks like there is a bolt that runs through the back that needs to be removed and the shock will slip right out.

Anyone know anything about this?
    I thought I had some pictures but couldn't find one. If they are the same as other foxes there is a bolt that goes through the frame rail to hold the bumper support in and has a slide nut on the other side that is removable also.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Some Boost
    Yes, I have since went to the junkyard where they had a 86 and 87 for the picking. I got the front and rear bumper off the 86 because the fiberglass one on the 87 was sagging and nearly worthless.

There is just a bolt that slips through the eye at the back end of the bumper shock, and a special speed nut that connects it to the frame.