Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Tire thread. All discussions of tires should go here.

Track only wheels are nice, but then, you have to change them at the track! I'd probably go with the second set, especially if you drive a lot....The RE-71Rs would be tough on the paint.
    Dave

Track only wheels are nice, but then, you have to change them at the track!
    I always swapped wheels/tyres at home, then drove to/from track on track tyres. And swapped them back afterwards.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    That's what I was thinking of Mike. I would drive 30 miles one way to autocross all freeway but it wouldn't be all the car show miles ect. Would save the tires for the events and the car body too.

I don't take my track wheels/tyres to shows. They be too dirty. And I don;t put Armerol/sidewall dressing on track tyres either.

All of my track tyres are DOT legal, btw.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Dave what size wheels and tires are on Stacey's car?

Stock wheels and the stock size tires, 225/50R-16. I ordered my tires from Tire Rack and they were about $135 each.

Half Boost
    I am considering going to a 235/45 17 on my 97 Cobra wheels. The 245/45 17's on my Bullet's rub just a touch on big bumps. The local tire dealer can get me them installed for 100 bucks more than just having the tires delivered from Tire Rack. Seams like a fair price so I will use them. My guess is it would be around that to mount and balance them anyway.

I was very fortunate to find a place locally that will mount, balance, and install new valve stems for $60 for a set of four (loose) wheels. The place I used to go charged a bit more but did lower quality work.
    My blue '84 has 245/45-17s and it rubs as you described. I'd be interested to see how 235s work.
    --I know this guy in South Dakota that rolls fenders if the 235s still rub!
    Dave

Half Boost
    Been there done that!!! LOL. BYOB (bring your own bat)_LOL

Noob
    So how wide a tire can I mount on the stock SVO rims? I'm a new owner and looking to put it on the track. Thanks. Kaz

Half Boost
    If you are talking open track you need more open wheels. The stocker's don't breathe and the brakes overheat.

Noob
    Thanks. Anyone with suggested rim sizes so I can add a little rubber on the track?

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Kkotlow View Post
    Thanks. Anyone with suggested rim sizes so I can add a little rubber on the track?

I use 245/40 - 17s on 2005 -2010 GT Mustang rims.

Do you have any fender rubbing with that size. I have that size Cooper tires on 17" Bullet rims. No rubbing, but I haven' t driven the car hard.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I use that size and rim without rubbing but my rear fenders are rolled so I can't say beyond that.

So how wide a tire can I mount on the stock SVO rims? I'm a new owner and looking to put it on the track. Thanks. Kaz
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    If you are talking open track you need more open wheels. The stocker's don't breathe and the brakes overheat.
    What he said ^^ times 2. Do NOT run your stock rims for a track event! I did that ONCE, never again. Cooked my brakes.
    Bought a set of cheap "tri-bar" 17" wheels to mount some "event only" tires onto. No more brake overheating.
    I run 245/70R17s with zero rubbing, even on hard cornering - and I still have the stock stretchy "rear wheel steer" 4 link arms.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

The 17" Tri-bars work well, as do the 2005-10 17" Bullitt wheels, although the Bullitts are quite a bit heavier that the tri-bars.
    Make sure not to buy SN95 Bullitt wheels (99-2004), they have the wrong offset. The tri-bars are also SN95 but the offset is close enough to stock SVO work.
    I've seen complete sets of the tri-bars on Craigslist for under $200.

Bad choices make great stories....!