Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tire thread. All discussions of tires should go here.

^
    I will take issue with that statement on the pilots. Dunlop Star Specs are superior, and much less expensive.

The GY F1 tyres tend to chunk really bad when tracked (and hot). Or so I've seen with the BMW folks that run them.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

i've never driven the dunlops. i've read that they were the best a few years ago, but the competition has since passed them by.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ar-spec-page-3

i got to drive the pilot super sports when lincoln put them on its auto-media press car.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-test-car.html

the f1 asymmetric 2 was on the focus ST, which handled quite amazingly.

So you're saying I'm outdated?

OK, I can handle that.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Not SVO related, but I have been looking for 225/60R15 tires for my McLaren for almost 6 months. It seems most brands no longer make these tire. Besides the Gaterback repos, Falkens 912 seem to be the best option. Anyone have experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Not SVO related, but I have been looking for 225/60R15 tires for my McLaren for almost 6 months. It seems most brands no longer make these tire. Besides the Gaterback repos, Falkens 912 seem to be the best option. Anyone have experience with these?
    http://www.cokertire.com/tire-styles...h-t-a-rwl.html
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Ok guys, I need to find a good all season tire, for my DD 85. I am at the end of the life span of my federal ss535 and they worked in the dry and wet but ice and snow was laughable. I've been doing some looking around and what your opinions of the the Goodyear eagle gt's or the Yokohama avid envigor size will be the stock 225-50-16......

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    i'd recommend the Yokohama YK580 as a good all season tire but they aren't good on ice, just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    i'd recommend the Yokohama YK580 as a good all season tire but they aren't good on ice, just sayin'
    I admire your sense of humor, and thank goodness you were not injured. Sad to see an SVO deceased, but as long as the driver walks away....

D
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B

I use Bridgestone Protenza RE970 on my 1C daily driver. Great traction on dry roads, much better than most on wet roads. I've not tried them on ice, but it's safe to assume they aren't any better than the Yokohama YK580s on ice. RIP Blackie.

Looks like Dunlop is soon to release Star Specs v2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Lancer

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Looks like Dunlop is soon to release Star Specs v2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Lancer
    Ordered two sets for the original wheels, one for the street in warm weather and one for HPDE days - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R6Z2&tab=Sizes . Problem is that they confirmed the 14th for shipping last Tuesday and then changed it to the 21st this morning. Preview test is up here - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&cid=R4602697& . Have the Continental DW for the winter months (Texas) and could not be happier with them in the cold or wet here, actually seem better than the DWS on the wife's car at times.
    Help Wanted - 1985.5 SVO needs a full resto...

i really want to see how it compares to the pilot super sport.

i'm deciding between the two, and the dunlops are cheaper, but looks like they're gonna be backordered everywhere.

Not back-ordered, just not released yet - scheduled for March.

If you're looking for a good tread wear, very good dry & wet performance tyre, then the PSS is a very good choice. But I don't know anyone that runs them in auto-x or for track use as the Star Spec Z1 totally outperforms them.

Building Boost
    You talking about the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110? If you want a soft, mushy, low grip tire in hot & dry conditions, then OK. If you're actually looking for a performance tire, skip these.
    Glad I saw this. Almost purchased 4 brand new ones off CL' s. Kid changed his mind on what he's gonna do. Not worth the low cost ($300 for 4, 225/45-17). Think I'll go Mich pilot SS or maybe the Conti DW. I don't like uni-directional tires, so that kills a few summer options. Car won't see track or auto-x, just summer driving.

Although my SVO is gone y'all have a lot of tire knowledge. Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Pole Position S04? Or although brand new the Bridgestone RE71r?

i am swapping to new 17" wheels on my weekend toy ('83 911) and am looking for rubber. Currently have Conti Extreme Contact DW and while they are ok they feel soft. Mostly a street car although may get a DE or AutoX. Seeing rain would be very very rare.
    86 1D #9823
    H&R Sport Springs, T-Coupe Intercooler, CAI, Bosch Bypass, 3" DP

Half Boost
    OK I will be in the market for new tires this year. I drive summer only and try to avoid rain. Mainly aggressive driving and autocross. That said if I do autocross this year I will run CAM which mandates 200 tread wear rating. Also in Sturgis street tire class is cut off at 200, so what do we like for tires? Tire rack says Bridgestone Potenza RE11 or RE-71R also Dunlop Direzza Z11 Star Spec. Anyone with experience with these?

We got a set of Bridgestone Protenza RE-71R for her car last summer; they stick great and have a 200 treadwear. They rival all-out Race tires, in my opinion.
    The downside is they grab and throw gravel onto your fenders and quarter panels the same way race tires do; that is why you saw Stacey's car with tape on the lower fenders and quarter panels at Sturgis last year.
    I've also run Bridgestone RE01 and Bridgestone RE11; the RE-71R hold much better than either of those tires. I don't have any experience with the Dunlop.
    Dave

Half Boost
    Thanks maybe I should buy these and mount them on the Cobra wheels I have for track only wheels. My tires have some tread left but are 8 years old and pretty hard. If I did that then the new ones would last longer and not throw stones at my paint.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    OK I will be in the market for new tires this year. I drive summer only and try to avoid rain. Mainly aggressive driving and autocross. That said if I do autocross this year I will run CAM which mandates 200 tread wear rating. Also in Sturgis street tire class is cut off at 200, so what do we like for tires? Tire rack says Bridgestone Potenza RE11 or RE-71R also Dunlop Direzza Z11 Star Spec. Anyone with experience with these?
    I have the RE11s on my track car and have no complaints so far. They have 4-6 track days on them with minimal wear showing. The RE71s were not available when I purchased the RE11s.